free website stats program Headlight goes dim as I throttle up | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight goes dim as I throttle up

jackscreamen103

Hello,

Looking for some help if possible. Noticed that my headlight would dim on high beam as I rode along. At a stand still the light was bright but as soon as I took off it would dim again. Now after a few more times out both high and low beam flicker and go dim upon acceleration. I have also notice my high beam indicator light is starting to flicker on and off while my low beam is on. I have tested the battery for load (ok). Put a meter on at idle and have 12.9 V- 13.2 V then at 3-5 thousand rpm's it locks at about 14.2 V and never goes any higher. Not sure but believe that means the voltage reg is good perhaps. I checked all wires and grounds all appear good. I am wondering if a headlamp bulb could be the problem. Please let me know if you have ever heard of anything like this before. Thanks!!
:wall

If your voltage checks out, it could be a ground for the light or the bulb itself.

Did you remove and clean the battery terminals and check the ground from the battery to the frame?

Got a quick test for the filaments in the light bulbs.

Remove the light and connect an ohm meter. Shake the bulb while observing the reading on the meter. Any flucuations would indicate a filament that is normally making a connection , but as vibrations increase continuity is lost.

Back