free website stats program headlight fuse | Harley Davidson Forums

headlight fuse

marty

my 01 electr-glide classic has started to blow headlight fuses!went to go riding one morning no headlight or aux. light found headlight fuse was blown changed went about month and rode back from daytona stopped for lunch came out started bike and had no headlight rode on home changed fuse headlight on again! shows about 14.5 volts on gauge at 2000 rpms.just took fairing off to ship tach and speedo out for led change and looked all around found no bare or kinked wires nothing rubbing !!where should i look next? i am no mechanic by far !! i had new battery stator put in about 3 months ago voltage regulator was good so the hd shop said no other work done lately!i know someone will know where i should look next!! thanks all ride safe!!

Has anyone opened the headlight or aux lights and maybe pinched a wire putting it back together?

It sounds like an intermitant short. Check wiring to bulb, & also bulb itself. Also wiring at left handle bar switches. Sometimes a loose fuse can cause premature failure. While there recoat with dielectric grease.

Marty while you have the fairing off you might try wiggling the wires around with the ignition on and see if you can get it to blow, do one area at a time and you might get lucky, a intermitant short is the hardest kind to fine. And check the plug that the bulb plugs into, sometime they get hot and can short.

How about under the seat? My buddy had the same problem. He had the run,turn,stop module, and it was getting pinched between the seat and frame. Other tail wires could be involved.

Marty - try this simplified schematic just to give you a rough idea where to look from the Search, and Self Help sections...

Wiringdiag.jpg

The blown fuse is a "symptom" of a problem, corrosion in the headlamp or interconnecting sockets, short to a metal passthru or holddown tie...sharp edges being the likely cause, conductive water in the shells or housings. Trace and use electronic "wash" on contacts and coat with dieelectric grease.

As long as your not running enough aux lights to strain the circuit, you should start checking wires, sounds like an intermittent short somewhere.

Back