free website stats program Headlight and Taillight Quit | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight and Taillight Quit

Fossil

I have a 1988 FLHS EVO with a weird lighting problem. On a ride today the rear tail light running light quit working. The brake light works from front and rear switches. Then the headlight quit on both low and high beams. The turn signals front and rear work as does the running light in the turn signals. Only the head light and tail light and high beam signal do not work. Any ideas on where to start looking? I suspect that the rear and head lights run together some where in the head light. Fossil

Perhaps you blew a fuse, sometimes when filiment burns open, the loose part falls against the other filiment or grounds out...! Check the schematic for the lighting system, but if it has been modified, then look to where the mods were added. It is easy to add accessories and unfortunately add to the problem while fixing another.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will trace wires but feel it is a common problem to every thing. I looked at the spot lights and they will dim like the turn signals do but Two hours ago the problem was still there. I just went out and turned the ignition switch on and every thing now works. No matter how much I jiggled and worked the switch the back and forth I couldn't get the lights to even flicker. Kind of makes me thing the igniion switch has a fault. I think I will start there. Fossil

I would think it would be more simple, like the common ground return in the headlight shell wiring. Also check wire pass thru's near metal holes (in the bars for example) and while your at it, check back at the taillight area as it is common for the wire in the fender loom to get cut and ground out. Also check all the fuses for corrosion (connect, clean, reconnect and use dielectric grease to prevent corrosion and moisure intrusion.

Back