headlamp lense is cloudy, can it be cleaned?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by colnajoe, Feb 8, 2012.

1. colnajoe

colnajoe Member

I'm gonna upgrade to either an hid or led light in the spring, already did the passing lights, but in the meantime, I just want to brighten this one up. Can it be cleaned somehow? I searched this forum and google, didn't find a thing on the topic of cleaning inside the lense, just how to polish up the outside plastic

Well I tried searching some more and found right here on this great site that water, or a mix of soap and water on the inside of the lense does the trick...It's caused by the over-heating of the connectors, hum............

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I cleaned my headlight and passing light assemblys with soap and water. Then I poured some rubbing alcohol in and swished it around and dumped it. Finally I stuffed a very clean soft rag (long narrow strips are easier to get out) inside and pushed it around with a loop of fairly stiff insulated wire to polish the lens and reflector. They came out crystal clear.
    3 years later, they are getting a little cloudy again. :(

3. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

Breeze has it right.

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Rubbing alcohol is great, cleans and the residue evaporates quickly.

5. colnajoe

colnajoe Member

Well I pulled it apart today and I used water with a touch of dawn dish washing liquid (that and pledge, what cant they do?) cut off a couple strips of an old cloth and the end of one of my Wife's wooden spoons. Swirled it around and scrubbed the inside real good. After the rinse, I poured in a little distilled water, let it swirl a bit and poured it out....no water spots! I hit it a few minutes with a hair dryer, and wa-la, just like new. I cleaned inside the housing before I put the light back in. Wonderful way to spend a couple of hours, though it was (EDIT)
    cold in the garage. :newsmile078:

Please read this...
    [note]
    A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community[/note]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  6. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

75 and sunny in Phoenix!!!!!!

7. Mule Skinner

Mule Skinner Member

Swishing a little white vineagar will clean them right up. Follow with a good rinse and dry with micro fiber. Good as new. The cause is the halagon bulbs burning in. If keeping the old bulbs, it'll last a couple years more than likely.