free website stats program Heading out on a six week trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heading out on a six week trip

Sounds like you had a great time!

About the Dragon - I'm sure there are hundreds of stretches of road just like it throughout this enormous country of ours and you've probably already ridden many of them. It's still a blast even at the posted speed limit and with cops lurking everywhere but as you said, you are working it the whole way and there's no time for idle sightseeing. I did it and I'm glad I did but I feel like it's mostly a commercially created phenomena, if you know what I mean.

Sounds like you had a great trip. I wish I had the time to do one myself. One day I will. Glad you made it back safe.

I just did 1600 miles to Asheville, NC and back in July. I included the Dragon on the way there and on the way back. Rode it six times in all, either on a Monday or Tuesday. Never saw one LEO. Rode it faster each time and didn't care about the scenery-it was about the ride....testing myself. Speed limit is 30, but I was up to short bursts of 60 at a few points. Not many straights where you can get going good, which is a good thing since the curves are very sharp in places, sometimes 180 degrees or more.I was cooking along pretty fast by the last ride. There are other bikers and cars there, even one damn semi coming at me, but a biker in front of me gave the heads up the truck was coming so I could pull over. I just waited until no one had gone for about two minutes then headed off and if I caught someone, just pulled over to let them get ahead again. Would be hard to do that on a weekend, though. I highly reccommend the Dragon, just go slow the first time!

Also did the Cherohala Skyway, and it's much tighter, curvier, and more grade than the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I rode as well on the same trip. Lots of fun, highly reccommend it if you are nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back