free website stats program Headers turning red | Harley Davidson Forums

Headers turning red

porkchop

My 06 dyna's pipes turn red from the heads down to about an inch or so past the 02sensers, this only happens at idle and you can only see it in the dark. One dealer says its normal and another says its to lean. Whats the right answer on this?

This is perfectly normal. Your headers are glowing because of the rapid increase in exhaust temperatures. Yes, the bike is running lean -- but it is the way that the factory has designed the motorcycle to run.

The headers do not glow as quickly on bikes that have had the SE Stage 1 mods, and computer download -- because the bike runs richer after the download to unlock the hidden horsepower in the motor. This all stems from too many tree huggers with too much time on their hands.

Next time you start your bike, and watch the headers glow, you can thank the EPA for their restrictions. I generally reserve one finger for these occasions. :newsmile107:

Hope this helps...

This is perfectly normal. Your headers are glowing because of the rapid increase in exhaust temperatures. Yes, the bike is running lean -- but it is the way that the factory has designed the motorcycle to run.

The headers do not glow as quickly on bikes that have had the SE Stage 1 mods, and computer download -- because the bike runs richer after the download to unlock the hidden horsepower in the motor. This all stems from too many tree huggers with too much time on their hands.

Next time you start your bike, and watch the headers glow, you can thank the EPA for their restrictions. I generally reserve one finger for these occasions. :newsmile107:

Hope this helps...
I had the stage 1 done the day i got it new so i dont know how red it would have gotten just stock, the pipes arent getting real bright there is just a light glow to them when i stop and idle and you can only see it when its dark out. Was just a little concerned about it thats all.

Back