free website stats program header gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

header gaskets

corrigon

Contributor
I did not see a comment in self help on this item. Which header gaskets do the most of you prefer, the cone type or flat ring type? I have used the cone and still have leaks. I bought a package of them on ebay cheap, maybe that's my problem.

2nd that! Tightening everything has to be a uniformly, coordinated procedure from all points. Tapered mesh gaskets are all that has worked for me & if you're still getting a leak, try doubling up the retainer clips.

Good thinking. That is what I have been doing is tightening them as I go. I will try your way. Thank you.

The SE or Cometic SS flat type are all I use; no sealing issues. However, assembling the complete system and tightening systematically from the heads back works for me.

S&S pipes, maybe others, won't seal with the flat gaskets and require the tapered ones.

This is a stock '99' ultra exhaust all the way. I have been tempted to double up the flat gaskets. The leak is very small but I am really hesitant about reefing more on the nuts. Its the front head that seems to give the problem so I will hang it all on and then try tightening front to back and see what happens. The lip in the heads and header pipe are both great shape so it has to be me doing something wrong. Onward.

I agree with the description JUNK 100%. Besides being almost impossible to install in port without deforming them they seem to burn a whole even where installed properly. Beware members.

Back