free website stats program Head light modulator. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Head light modulator.

AGAINST HEADLIGHT MODULATOR

• YES

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • NO

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's the first I've heard of that. Everything I've read the last 37+ yrs of driving has been you flash your high beams to pass. This is also in the motorcycle handbooks, H-D owners manual and every car manual I've had.

Flashing to tell someone it's OK to turn in front of you is counter to all those:newsmile055:.

You must have missed my first statement - this is a standard courtesy signal everywhere I have lived in the US that means you're yielding to someone else and giving them permission to go ahead.

You must have missed my first statement - this is a standard courtesy signal everywhere I have lived in the US that means you're yielding to someone else and giving them permission to go ahead.

I should've waited 'til after I went for a walk to post. After taking the time to think about what you'd posted, that point stuck out more. Too bad the website went wonky on me, along with work getting in the way, so I couldn't post again.

The problem with these "standard courtesy signals" is that they are like "common sense"; not common and not standard to all. Like I'd said I'd never heard of flashing your high beam to let someone know you're OK with them turning in front of you. I've actually flashed my high beams just to make sure someone notices I'm there (back before I started riding with my high beam on all the time). I'll have to keep that in mind while travelling in the U.S.:s

I drive trucks for a living, and I have seen alot of bikes running down the road with the modulators flashing. they catch my attention long before they get to me. and personaly speaking, When riding my bike I want to be seen, I have friends that are totally against them, and some that have installed them after I explaned to them that you can disable them by leaving the switch on low beam. We live in the cell phone era, and things have changed, There's twice or three times the traffic that we had twenty years ago. they are there to use and If this modulator stops just one person from pulling out in front of me , Money well spent.. and as far as flashing the lights. Most truck driver's have stopped flashing people over. and just because some flashes there lites at you.. That doesn't mean you are clear to come over. or pull out in front of them..

and as far as flashing the lights. Most truck driver's have stopped flashing people over. and just because some flashes there lites at you.. That doesn't mean you are clear to come over. or pull out in front of them..

I never said I agreed with it or thought it was a good idea. I was just pointing out a factor that needs to be considered when deciding on this issue.

I'm considering installing one, but, I'm going to modulate my passing lamps, instead of my main headlight. That should reduce any signal confusion, as well as give me the ability to turn off modulation with a flip of a switch (turning off the passing lamps), when joining a pack. I would design a wig-wag for my passing lamps, causing them to wig-wag briefly whenever I honk the airhorn. However, wig-wag is not legal in most states except for LEO. I'll settle for modulation.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I had a modulator on my former bike for 4 years and some 25k miles. In that time I had maybe two cars pull in front of me and in both cases I don't think they would have noticed a lit up fire truck. On the other hand I saw numerous cars start to pull out then suddenly stop. None of this is scientific, but I made a believer out of me.

As far as flashing a head light to signal someone to turn, maybe at a four way stop, but who is going to do that when going 30-40 mph down a city street to tell a car ahead; "go ahead and turn in front of me. Sorry, don't buy that argument for a second.

I've also heard people say that they confused it for an emergency or police vehicle. Really? You mistook a white light going from 100% to 70% output for a red / blue rotating light or strobe. Someones situational awareness was not what it should be.

Installed the modulator sold by HD and have noticed that some cagers hesitate and look twice before moving into my lane. Course, also ride on the dirvers left side so that the headlight is either in the left side mirror or the rear view so try to be visible. Change sides of the lane periodically also for think that movement helps to make people see me. The unit that installed has an on-off switch and light sensor so if ride in a group can turn it off. Do not know how to cast vote but am in favor.

Installed the modulator sold by HD and have noticed that some cagers hesitate and look twice before moving into my lane. Course, also ride on the dirvers left side so that the headlight is either in the left side mirror or the rear view so try to be visible. Change sides of the lane periodically also for think that movement helps to make people see me. The unit that installed has an on-off switch and light sensor so if ride in a group can turn it off. Do not know how to cast vote but am in favor.
I don't regret putting the flasher on my lights. They do work, and I have had several situations where people were talking on Cell Phones and started to pull out and hesitated and stopped. I think the flashing caught there attention.. I don't use mine all the time. Just when I get into heavy traffic, or when I come up on a vehicle getting ready to pull out of a side street..

Back