free website stats program Head check, yes or no? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Head check, yes or no?

I always do a "shoulder check" or head check as you call it out of habit.

I watch my mirrors and am always aware of my surroundings but on more than one occasion, I have done a shoulder check out of habit and have been suprised by the sight of a cage travelling in my blindspot....

Not doing a shoulder check when changing lanes is flirting with disaster...

I start doing head checks plus mirrors as soon as I pull out of the drive way, been a habbit for years. Trying to get my daughter who just started driving to be more aware is the real challenge. Alot of crotch rockets around and they are relentless about changing lanes (as you guys are aware) in and out of traffic. Here's one for you dads, " "but I turned my signal on!!" as your doing 65mph down the highway aaahhhh!!!!

I don't care if I'm in a car/truck or my bike I like to be aware at all times of what is around me,not just in front or behind.

Always do the head check for all the previously mentioned reasons.

Plus, it feels so good to get a nice crack out of your neck once in awhile. Don't worry you younger riders, you'll see what I mean someday!

You don't do a head check you could wind up without a head.

It's all about remembering who you are on that scooter....David fighting Goliath. You're on this little chunk of metal holding on for dear life at 60 MPH, ( or more, or less, it doesn't matter), and all around you are these monstrous multi-ton battering rams flying by you or beside you without even noticing you as they veer from lane to lane or stomp on their brakes because they decided at the last minute to pull into the Micky D's for a couple of Quarter-Pounders to lard up on because their fat *** isn't too big to fit behind the wheel of their mini-van yet.

They have tons of steel surrounding them and a seat belt to hold them in place as they smash you like a bug, all the while talking to their broker/gynecologist,GF/BF/coke dealer/etc, as they rush to the PTA meeting/work/, or gym while they chow down on that Big Mac and balance the Super Slurpie in between their legs as they glance down every few seconds to read the morning paper/National Enquirer.

Then of course it will be YOUR fault as they explain to the cop that....what else???

THEY NEVER EVEN SAW YOU!!!

The phone will be put away. The paper folded up and on the back seat. The McDonald's trash already thrown in the trunk.

They'll cry. That minivan was BRAND NEW...what will they tell their husband???? HE'S GONNA BE MAD! After all, this isn't the FIRST time an accident happened because they weren't focused on driving, was it?

But for YOU, it's your LAST accident.

Me???

I think head checks are a good idea. Just in case I didn't make myself clear.

That is awesome RichardS. I couldn't have said it any better myself. I am somewhat of a rookie at this two wheeled game, but I am learning a lot from the experience that you and the other good people on this site share so willingly. Yall keep the good advice coming.

I teach MBike skills as a living as well as providing Defensive Driving Classes and am an avid rider who has survived many potential collossions because I always check first in what ever I drive...I also run a truck on linehaul for the NZ Postal service...the simple thing is that if you only look in the mirrors you are not checking those areas where things like cage drivers and trucks and other bikes hide....it is called a "BLIND SPOT",
keep checking those mirrors buddy and you will live to be an old biker, instead of those bold bikers that don't make it to retirement.....

All it takes is one time doing a head check and catch the guy that's coming out of nowhere doing 90 to make you a believer. Always, Always peek before you make a move.

I always do a quick head check even if I know ...or think I know that it's clear.

Back