free website stats program Head check, yes or no? | Harley Davidson Forums

Head check, yes or no?

Mavagrand

Been riding for years. I learned to always do a head check before changing lanes, it was taught as an unbreakable tenant. I have noticed that a lot of riders seem to change lanes without doing a head check..I assume they just check their mirrors, give a signal and change lanes. Is the head check obsolete? Did I miss a memo?

I rode for about 20 years. Quit in 1985. I always head checked.
I am picking up my new bike this Saturday and I will pick up that habit just where I left off.
Heck, I even head check when I am in my truck. Mirrors can miss a lot sometimes and it only takes once.

I don,t think I could change lanes without shoulder checking. Too scary plus the wife would probably never get on the bike again. hmmmm.

Been riding for years. I learned to always do a head check before changing lanes, it was taught as an unbreakable tenant. I have noticed that a lot of riders seem to change lanes without doing a head check..I assume they just check their mirrors, give a signal and change lanes. Is the head check obsolete? Did I miss a memo?

No, there was no memo to ignore good survival techniques. It is always a good idea to use head check before changing lanes. The biggest save is when changing lanes and find a motorcyclist just along side of ya "lane splitting" (which is legal in California). So keep your eyes and head moving. :newsmile040:

Also, don't forget to use hand signals as well as turn signals approx. 6 secs at least, prior to turning, seems many new riders think that technology trumps common sense, but a motorcycle is only a slim Y shape from the front and your hand signals allow more visibility on the freeway, especially when cars behind speed up when motorcyclist is trying to merge, or try to pass you on the right, when trying to exit. :dknow

Sad, but motorcycle accidents are on the rise, and the age of the injured is also rising. Could mean us old timers are getting complacent or not so many new riders are riding that much, or as long skewing the statistics. :(

Last edited:
I am a semi-paranoid rider...meaning I constantly check who's around me and always "keep a way out" if need be. I usually check over the shoulder before I switch lanes.

Mirrors and head check. You MUST know who's around you at all times when riding, not just changing lanes.

I'm paranoid also, I don't trust anyone even if they look right at me. My big rule is not to be a smart (EDITED). Its too easy on a bike to pass cars and go fast and I really need to watch myself. Think about every situation, do the whole 'what if' thing over and over all day long. Always have a way out, watch everyone like a hawk, and don't be a smart (EDITED). Its just part of riding. Richard S you crack me up. I see people the same way here on the other coast.

Oh the language!

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back