free website stats program HDT Weight Loss Challenge | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

HDT Weight Loss Challenge

Dr.Evil,by your posts you have never had a serious illness or been near death,but I have and I think I can speak for all the others who have.I want to live my life and enjoy every single day to the fullest and if I can live to be 100 I will do my best to get there.

I like the way Steve thinks here I have met him and I can tell you he looks good for what he has been through, Me I want to live my life riding my bike and sharing good times with THE Redhead so I will watch what I eat and do my exercises and see my Dr and ride every day JMO Hi Steve good to be home?

Always good to take a break Jack,but yes its good to be home.

Dont want to HIJACK this thread but I can hardly wait till we can ride the Forests and stop @ Cactus Jacks with Kemo, who knows maybe we can get the Boss down here The Redhead has something for him:taunt

Dr.Evil,by your posts you have never had a serious illness or been near death,but I have and I think I can speak for all the others who have.I want to live my life and enjoy every single day to the fullest and if I can live to be 100 I will do my best to get there.

That's why you never see any fat people in nursing homes. Not that I want to live quite that long either.

You are correct, I have not had that kik in the pants yet. What I meant was that I would rather ride over a cliff into the sunset, then end up in one of those places.

I lost 110 lbs 20 years ago and have kept it off. I got a divorce. :s

Seriously though. I need to lose 20 lbs and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to accomplish. The evenings are the toughest for me. I eat small, usually healthy breakfast and small lunches. If I have burger once a month that would be a lot. Although I like steak and prime rib I rarely eat it. But, watching tv at night I get the munchies and if I know there's something in the house I end up finding it. Hopefully the warmer weather that's peaking around the corner will help because I don't usually come inside until it's dark outside.

Dont want to HIJACK this thread but I can hardly wait till we can ride the Forests and stop @ Cactus Jacks with Kemo, who knows maybe we can get the Boss down here The Redhead has something for him:taunt

Hmmm, a cat or a smack in the head? :p

There are a couple of things that creep up on you as far as "weight loss" and make it really difficult to get those "last 10lbs" or to fight through a plateau....

1.) As we all get older we lose muscle. Muscle is the "engine" that burns calories. Our engines get smaller over time, such that if you stick with the same calorie intake, there is a high probablity that you will gain "fat".

2.) To build muscle, you need stress. Our bodies adapt amazingly fast to physical effort. A walk that burned 200 calories, only burns 100 a month later. You become more efficient and use less energy. Again, if your intake calories are the same, you will plateau or start to gain weight. This is where I think Joyflyin has it right: switch up every couple of weeks.

3.) You can never go back to your old habits, if you want to keep the weight off. You just can't. It is a permanant change in lifestyle. Feel good about that.

I went from 215lbs in college (played lacrosse at a very high level) to 290lbs about 5 years later. In a year, I dropped 70lbs to 220 and I went back up to 230-235 for the past 7 years.
My rules:
1.) No empty calories (pretty much all sugar is gone from my diet.)
2.) No carbohydrates after lunch. (Any carbs are from whole wheat, oatmeal, whole grains, etc.) I get home late and tended to eat late. No need for a ton of carbs to go right to fat as I sleep.
3.) One "cheat meal" per week. Don't go overboard.
4.) GO OUTSIDE. I found that when was idle/bored, I would eat for something to do, but I wasn't hungry.
5.) Learn what "hungry" feels like. It is OK to feel that way. You don't have to eat right away.
6.) I eat 6 small meals throughout the day.

On a strangely positive side: Yes, I know that being overweight has health issues. But it is true that this is pretty much the first time in human history that large populations have had so much food, the money to afford it and relatively low physical labor to actually have "obesity" become an issue. You pretty much had to be a king or an emperor, in years gone by.

Last edited:
.. ... ... ... ... .
Oh and did I mention 75 cent beer in a frosted mug?:D

Wow I could get off cheap buying Bodeen's beer there.

... .. ... ... ... ..
I went from 215lbs in college (played lacrosse at a very high level) to 290lbs about 5 years later. In a year, I dropped 70lbs to 220 and I went back up to 230-235 for the past 7 years.
My rules:
1.) No empty calories (pretty much all sugar is gone from my diet.)
2.) No carbohydrates after lunch. (Any carbs are from whole wheat, oatmeal, whole grains, etc.) I get home late and tended to eat late. No need for a ton of carbs to go right to fat as I sleep.
3.) One "cheat meal" per week. Don't go overboard.
4.) GO OUTSIDE. I found that when was idle/bored, I would eat for something to do, but I wasn't hungry.
5.) Learn what "hungry" feels like. It is OK to feel that way. You don't have to eat right away.
6.) I eat 6 small meals throughout the day.

Excellent advice Porter, and to add to number 4, I find I eat less while riding. Just don't seem to get hungry when I'm out riding. Even when we ride over to visit someone I still don't seem to concentrate on food. Not sure why this is, maybe I just like to avoid stops to the restroom :lolrolling not sure. But getting out is a definite good rule, and riding is one up from that. (wonder why my lines are double space??)

I lost 110 lbs 20 years ago and have kept it off. I got a divorce. :s

Seriously though. I need to lose 20 lbs and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to accomplish. The evenings are the toughest for me. I eat small, usually healthy breakfast and small lunches. If I have burger once a month that would be a lot. Although I like steak and prime rib I rarely eat it. But, watching tv at night I get the munchies and if I know there's something in the house I end up finding it. Hopefully the warmer weather that's peaking around the corner will help because I don't usually come inside until it's dark outside.

That is/was my main problem. Lately I keep celery and carrot sticks in a glass of water in the fridge. They are real crunchy and easy to grab. Not as good as the salty, fatty snacks in the cupboard, but I grab them 1st. I'm sorta using the same approach as when I quit smoking. When the urge hits, I try to distract it.

In March of 2000, I weighed 226 pounds. I dropped down to 170 by June of 2000 and stayed there a few years. Then I adopted a greyhound that likes long walks several times a day. I am currently at 153, and have been there for over two years. I still eat lots meat and potatos and I still drink beer sometimes and Captain Morgan every day. For me, the key is exercise, not diet.

Back