free website stats program HD vs other Air Cooled V Twins? | Harley Davidson Forums

HD vs other Air Cooled V Twins?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Don't know why this question never ocurred to me before. Been reading LOTS of great commentary and advice on how to get the HD TC96's to run cooler via fuel injection remaps, pipes, air filters, etc.

Do non-Harley, air cooled V twins (Victory and the metric HD wannabe's come to mind) have the same problem? I guess I could go lurk on some of their forums and find out but I don't want to make my computer jealous or anything!

I think we can blame the EPA for just about every lean running condition on must engines. The EPA standards get more strict and means the fuel mixtures are leaned out to comply to pass or the EPA will not give the go ahead to start production.

I think you will find that most engines in the newer vehicles are plagued with a similar problem.

I think we can blame the EPA for just about every lean running condition on must engines. The EPA standards get more strict and means the fuel mixtures are leaned out to comply to pass or the EPA will not give the go ahead to start production.

I think you will find that most engines in the newer vehicles are plagued with a similar problem.

So - the short answer is - YES!

My previous bike was a Yamaha Roadstar 1700 (V102) carburated model. It ran so hot that when stopped and turned off, the gas would boil in the bowl and run out the overflow, right down the exhaust pipe. I fought it for 2 years. Here's the big surprise, Yamaha said "they all do that"! I invested plenty of money in mods to try and correct it, even changed the carb.

My wife said it had to go, as she felt unsafe to ride, and did not want it in the garage, so I traded for the 08" Ultra.

She told me tonight that her legs are so hot (riding) that she might not be able to ride when it gets to be summer time. Looks like I'll be dumping more $$$$ into this one cause of the darn EPA! (Other than that we LOVE THIS BIKE!)

My previous bike was a Yamaha Roadstar 1700 (V102) carburated model. It ran so hot that when stopped and turned off, the gas would boil in the bowl and run out the overflow, right down the exhaust pipe. I fought it for 2 years. Here's the big surprise, Yamaha said "they all do that"! I invested plenty of money in mods to try and correct it, even changed the carb.

My wife said it had to go, as she felt unsafe to ride, and did not want it in the garage, so I traded for the 08" Ultra.

She told me tonight that her legs are so hot (riding) that she might not be able to ride when it gets to be summer time. Looks like I'll be dumping more $$$$ into this one cause of the darn EPA! (Other than that we LOVE THIS BIKE!)

You might try a couple fairly easy fixes...go to true duels...also the little deflectors that connect right under the seat also helps....and theres also the fan....Good luck with that...

Back