free website stats program HD Turbulator! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Turbulator!

Precisely. Oil is a thick, viscous fluid. The hotter molecules will tend to flow to the outside of a droplet, leaving the inside of the droplet cooler.

Burt

OK, let's take your theory a bit further. When the oil is in the oil tank it's not in droplets so the temp would be a constant given throughout the "mass". What about then in regards to the uniformity of the oil temps.

Could I ask how you came about this theory of the different temps in an oil droplet inside of an engine?

OK guys, don't throw any shoes at me (especially Lew) , I'm always looking to learn something new. :D

Add to what Smitty just said...inside the tubes are small protrusions to cause the oil to have a little turbulance so the hot oil in the center gets to contact more of the internal surface area inside the tubes releasing more heat than plain smooth tubing "-the turbulator affect" otherwise, portions of the hot oil in the center would just pass thru without contacting the cooling metal sides. I think it was Haydn transmission and engine oil coolers for autos in the mid 60's that developed it...:newsmile034:

Add to what Smitty just said...inside the tubes are small protrusions to cause the oil to have a little turbulance so the hot oil in the center gets to contact more of the internal surface area inside the tubes releasing more heat than plain smooth tubing "-the turbulator affect" otherwise, portions of the hot oil in the center would just pass thru without contacting the cooling metal sides. I think it was Haydn transmission and engine oil coolers for autos in the mid 60's that developed it...:newsmile034:

Egg-zackly!

\burt

Way to go Smitty! I'm thinking of going down and spending some hard earned cash also, said all along I support local vendors including our favorite local HD dealer!

Back