free website stats program HD Turbulator! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Turbulator!

Maybe this can help the oil temp needs to be up high to evaporate the moisture in the oil from condensation, especially from short trips.

I have the HD oil cooler part #26155-09 & I love it :bigsmiley24: . When you get the HD oil cooler you will get everything that you will need , just a few hints , the directions will tell you to remove the voltage regulator - stator , you do not have to do that just unbolt & lift the voltage regulator -stator high enough to slide the mounting plate in . Also the new fitting that attaches the oil plate to the engine & your oil filter will attach to that fitting will take a 7/16 allen wrench which is a hard tool to find , go to a hardware store & get a 1/4 inch coupler nut which takes a 7/16 wrench & use that for the allen wrench if you can not find the coupler nut any bolt that takes a 7/16 wrench will work just double nut the bolt & put the head of the bolt in the fitting & your 7/16 sockets on the double nuts & tighten the fitting . I also used high temp permatex on the gasket which will help in installation .

Found an interesting tech article on the J&P website regarding motorcycle oil coolers and thermostats:

"Whatever type of oil cooler you choose, make sure it's installed in conjunction with a thermostat, designed to open at no less than 180°. This is where the "system" in oil cooling system comes in. Many folks have actually damaged their engine by installing an oil cooler straight up without a thermostat. The result is oil never reaches operating temperature and thus fails to scavenge contaminants from the engine. If the engine is using a heavy grade straight weight oil, there may be additional damage from oil starvation at critical lubrication points. If you can't for some reason install a thermostat, at least put a cover over the cooler in temperatures below 80°. It's not as effective (or easy) as a thermostat, but it's better than nothing!"

I would suspect that this is why Harley coolers include a built in thermostat.

Makes sense to me, especially if you ride your motorcycle in cold weather.

Maybe this can help the oil temp needs to be up high to evaporate the moisture in the oil from condensation, especially from short trips.

This is a good point Jerry. I have a cooler on my bike with a thermostat in the Oil Filter Adapter. This morning it was 38degF when I took off for work, and my oil temp (sender is in the tank) never got to much more than 150degF. Of course the oil circulating through the engine gets hot, but the tank temp never got up to normal operating temp. And I ride about 20 miles to work about half at highway speeds.

TQ

Sounds like you need a '09! They warm up better! :bigsmiley8:

Might be cheaper than all the fiddlin' I have planned for the '03!!
  • Roller chain cam drive up-grade
  • Top end job
  • Roller rockers

Whew! Then there is the little bike ...

Make sure when you put it on, all the hose clamps are facing out where you can get at them if a hose starts leaking. Also once on, take it out for a test run and tighten up the clamps again. Once the oil gets hot and starts flowing through the cooler and the hoses get hot they may leak if not tightened up right away.

I will be putting one on mine soon .. it will probley be the Hd one much as i would like a jagg i cent see $100 more...

Does the harley vs need a anti rotation plate like the Jagg?

I've never seen the HD unit but I read somewhere that the way the adapter mounts it cannot turn.

I have also read that the thermostat is not very accurate in that it opens at a higher temperature. That may not make much of a difference as long as it is working on the high side.

I am going to put the Jagg small vertical cooler on my Wide Glide most likely without a thermostat. Not having the weight and fairings I figure it will do the job and is cheap insurance.

I think some are disappointed after installing an oil cooler because it doesn't seem to cool the engine off. In my worthless opinion, it is supposed to cool the engine on the inside. The combustion process creates the heat and the oil cools the pistons to help avoid detonation which to me will have a marginal effect on the outside temperature. If you want the outside cooler, apparently the air cleaner and fuel mangement is the way to go. I have often wondered how much effect this will have on oil temperature.

The older HD mounts were notorious for turning and then leaking. I believe they have a handle on it now but I would still buy from Jagg in any case.

Many have drilled and used roll pins or threaded insets to keep them in place.

Others have disassembled the unit and cleaned and applied red locktite and over torqued them to stop it also.

In my worthless opinion, it is supposed to cool the engine on the inside.

Precisely. Oil is a thick, viscous fluid. The hotter molecules will tend to flow to the outside of a droplet, leaving the inside of the droplet cooler.

A "turbulator" causes, well, *turbulation* in the oil, and thus mixes the cooler molecules with the hotter molecules. Essentially, it "evens out" the temperature of the oil, thus helping the oil work more efficiently.

The job isn't to *cool* the oil as much as it is to "mix" the oil.

I have the HD thermostat-controlled oil cooler on my '07 Heritage. It does indeed help the engine run a bit cooler. I didn't put it on for the cooling aspect: I wanted the oil to be used as efficiently as possible.

I'll probably install a HD oil cooler on my new '08 Electra Glide Custom sometime after the 1k checkup and oil change.

Back