free website stats program HD Trike gas milage | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Trike gas milage

Re: HD Trike gas milage 2010 FLHXXX

The wife rides a FLHXXX and last summer on our 5400 mile trip through Colorado Idaho, Wyoming and Utah she averaged a bit over 38 mpg except a couple of fillups on the WY & MT freeways at 80MPH. Then it dropped to 34-35 mpg.

Re: HD Trike gas milage 2010 FLHXXX

The wife rides a FLHXXX and last summer on our 5400 mile trip through Colorado Idaho, Wyoming and Utah she averaged a bit over 38 mpg except a couple of fillups on the WY & MT freeways at 80MPH. Then it dropped to 34-35 mpg.
Hit any head winds or excess windiness? Gas mileage may have dropped a bit.
The gas possibly, I may get gas at one place that goes through the trike like its water and others where the gas lasts longer.

I'm sure it dropped because we were running 80 MPH and the premium fuel in WY had ethanol in it. I always get worse mileage with ethanol even when I had a Gold Wing. In Idaho we were headed southwest. I have never gone southwest in Idaho without hitting a head wind. I'm pretty pleased with the fuel mileage for a 1300 pound machine that catches wind like the XXX does.

On my 02 Ultra bike, I averaged 38 to 44. When I went to a trike, my 08 Ultra with a Lehman kit would average 42 between 55 and 60 mph. As the rpm's went up, the mileage went down. At 65 it would average 39 and at 70, it would get 36, at 80 it would drop to 25. I never road in sixth gear unless it was downhill and 80 or above. My new 2011 on its first run with a Jackpot headpipe and a Power Vision tune, Big sucker AC, and SC pipes, I set the cruise on 3000 and drove 100 miles up and down hills. The power was great as the trike held 3000 rpm the whole way where I know my 08 would always drop about 200 rpm. I averaged 39 mph and only have 2500 miles on the trike. I am super happy with that. Before I did the conversion, I was only getting 25 to 30 mpg. Of course I love the 30 tooth that Harley added to the 2011. I would recommend it to everyone who doesn't have it.

Thinking of a trike kit for my 2001 Ultra and the Frankenstien kit is a front runner on my list of choices, minimal gas mpg reduction sounds great but in general how do you like the kit? Did you install yourself?

My wife has been consistently getting 32-34 mpg and her 2012 Tri-Glide has stage #1 intake, Klock werks 4" slip ons and the HD download. One thing I noticed is that in 6th gear at 60 MPH her trike turns 500 RPM higher than my 2010 UC Limited does. It just stands to reason that since the trike is turning 500 more revs, it will get lower fuel mileage.

Back