free website stats program HD reach seat | Harley Davidson Forums

HD reach seat

sgt_1230

My wife has an 07 SE CVO Ultra Classic. She is short (about 5' 5"), so I put the lower shocks on the bike which lowered it about an inch or so. The HD accessory book shows a "reach" seat that is supposed to lower the seat height 1.5" and bring you 1.5" closer to the bars/controls etc... My question is has anyone put one of these seats on their bike and how are they comfort wise. She is kind of hesitant on swapping out the heated seat that is on the bike, but if it makes her completely flat footed I think it would be a good trade off (as long as the seats are comfortable). Thanks for any input.

If you lowered the rear you really need to lower the front so as to keep the geometry of the bike correct. When I purchased my EG I put the Burley Slam kit that lowered the front and rear of the bike. I then had the dealer installl the Reach Seat lowering me even further. I have a 29 inch inseam and I sit flat footed. I also installed Heritage Bars so I do not have to reach for the bars they are right their for me. My bike rides like a dream now.

When I bought the lower rear shock kit I asked about the fork lowering kit and the service rep at the dealer told me if you put the fork kit in you have to put the rear kit on. However if you put the rear shocks on you don't have to put the fork kit in(unless you wan to). I read the accessory book and it does say with the fork kit you need to use the lower shocks, but it doesn't say anything about if you use the rear shocks. Apparently the lower front end affects the handling, but the lower rear end doesn't?

I to am short, 30 inch inseam. Here is my journey to getting flat footed on my 07 Ultra. Months after my purchase of the bike I installed a HD Reach Seat. This seat would practially kill my butt after an hour on the road - sold it on Ebay. I then researched this forum and through the rave reviews that were given to Mean City Cycles on seat alterations I sent my stock seat down to them with instructions to lower me 1 1/2 inches push me forward 1 1/2 inches and narrow the nose of the seat. I also had the memory foam installed front and rear. This is by far the best seat that I have ever riden on a Harley Davidson. ( I have been riding Harley's for 46 years). I then installed a Progressive Lowering ront Spring Kit and the HD 1 inch lower air shocks, all purchased of Ebay at a much better price, just took a little patience watching items listed and bidding. I don't know for sure if Alan @ Mean City Cycles reworks heated seats, but a quick call to him would confirm. You will not be disappointed with his work. Hope all works well for your wife.

The folks above have you covered - if lowering, lower both front AND rear.

I have the REACH seat on my '03 UC, and it made a BIG difference even after lowering front and rear. She will be very happy with the preceived change and improvement in stability of the bike as well as the ease of reaching the ground.

TQ

This may sound silly, but here it is anyhow...
I have a 30" inseam and I'm 5'7". I have an 08 Ultra. On the 1st ride i commented on how comfortable the stock seat was, but I had trouble being flat footed. I looked at the reach set, and not only did I not want to spend the money, I really didnt want to move forward. (I like to sit with a reach and like to streach my legs). I took my harley boots to a shoe shop and had them add 1" to the heal. IMO it's perfect. It cost me $30 bucks.
I don't ride often, but when I do get out I like to put alot of miles on, and my feet are up alot more than they are down, so I guess alot of it depends on your rinding style.

I stopped at my local delaer Friday afternoon to see if my new bike was done (bike is assembled, still waiting for the V&H Pro pipe which is supposed to be in middle of next week) and talked to one of the senior mechanics. He is also short and has an 09 CVO Ultra. He said he took his stock heated seat to a guy in Onalaska (Wi) and had it reformed for about $125 and said it is fantastic. Think I will give that a try first as he also told me you don't need to put the fork lowering kit in, plus it is a good 4-5 hour job to do. Thanks very much for all the responses and advice.

Thanks BiglLew, it was worth a shot...sometimes those CVO's are precursors for newer model intros...

I am 5 8 had my 07 RK lowered had reduced reach seat put on more comfortable than the stock also had reduced reach handlebars all of those made quite a difference.

Back