free website stats program HD or BAL led taillight? | Harley Davidson Forums

HD or BAL led taillight?

ImaRider

Been thinking about getting my tail light upgraded to a LED one. I see a few posts about how great the BAL light is. I see in the accessories book that HD has a 20 LED tail light. I wondered if anyone had one and could voice an opinion on how bright it is? The price difference is about $60 with the HD being less expensive. The BAL uses only 4 super LEDS just wondering if they are brighter than the 20 HD uses?

Can't tell you about the HD LED brightness but the Bal is bright and has a 5 year warranty. I bet the HD tail light comes with a 90 day warranty like their $500 LED headlight does...

If I am paying that much for a sealed LED light, I want a healthy warranty.

My buddy just got a BAL and it is one nice light. Dunno about the HD one either. I would like to get the BAL if I didn't already have the turn signal kit making brake lites out of the rear turns.
Good Luck
Pete

I don't remember what the warranty was and I don't think it is quite as bright as the BAL unit can be set at with its different levels of brightness but I recently installed the HD LED Tail Light along with front and rear LED Turn Signals. Very high quality, very bright and not to hard to install. Would recommend them without hesitation.

I really like the LED rear turns signals working as running and brake lights coupled with the brightness that the LED tail light adds. You can really tell the attention it gets over the stock lights when you hit the brakes.

I will search for the paperwork that came with them and post the warranty if I can find it.

I have the BAL TL and it really gets your attention.
5 year warranty and Harley is 90 days.

90 days, even if it's winter time and you can't ride. That issue made me rethink what to buy and add during winter projects.
Nothing worse than using up the warranty without doing any riding.
I could buy/add an item in December but by the time we can ride (Iowa) the 90 day warranty is gone.

Harley needs to rethink their warranty program.
Especially with the "long-lasting" LED HL/Aux lights. If it lasts so much longer, back it up with a good warranty!

If it lasts so much longer, back it up with a good warranty!

That is so true. They say that LED headlights last 20 times longer than even HID. Well HID lamps lasts 5 times longer than Halogen. So based on those numbers, I should easily see a 50 year life span on their LED headlight I recently purchased but yet it comes with only a 90 day warranty. Harley's new math.:)
(but I must admit the headlight is Great. Just hope it lasts)

Hope you guys don't jinx my purchase :newsmile055:
I did not realize there was that big a difference in the warranty and knowing that may have swayed my decision (maybe). I still think the HD units are well made and I'm glad I have them. One of the reasons I purchased the LED lights is expecting a longer life span and hopefully not having to take advantage of ANY warranty. Only time will tell................

I've got the BAL 1 rear light, and I am really impressed by it. Car drivers seem to notice me better now, and it is really bright (on any setting).
I installed it last winter so my experience is limited. Still, it has held up very nicely through a horrible summer with plenty of rain. No signs of any misting/leaking or anything.
If you're like me and like fiddling around with anything you can get hold of, all the pattern choices can keep you entertained for at least a day/night in the garage, heh, heh.

Not to worry about warrantee and LED type lighting...either one will last well over 5 years. The only downside to LED type lighting is they do lose may be 5% of their brightness over 10-15 years (telephone equipment experience), but this is using older technology, LED quality, materials and brightness performance is much better these days, so likely not nearly an issue. I have LED lights and the brighter halogen turn signals, and they even get comments from other Harley riders that pull up along side, and ask me about them. :s

Just change out the stock ones or at the very least, get the kit using diode logic module to give you running lights as well as turn signals. Bright lights save lives. My only accident was when unattentive cager ran into me when I was stopped at a stop sign, fortunately she did not hit me too hard or push me beyond the crosswalk area. Have used LED rear brake lights and brighter running lights ever since. Also learned to tap the brakes to signal tailights just to be sure. I have heard my share of brake squeals behind knowing their doing the job.:11:

Back