free website stats program HD oil temp gauge torque question? | Harley Davidson Forums

HD oil temp gauge torque question?

so60

I promise that over the last 2 months or so I have read hundreds of post about all of the oil temp gauges and coolers. I have used the search and found a ton of post, views, ideas, and opinions. I bought and installed a new HD oil temp gauge kit (PN 75324-05A) a couple of weeks ago. The install was rather easy and everything seems to be working ok. I haven't been able to ride much and it has been cold, so I can't judge the accuracy yet.

However, I have a question that I have not been able to find an answer for. The instructions that come with the HD gauge does not give any torque values for the sender or the adapter. I have found several pictures and it appears that everyone tightens the adapter up to where it is "flush" with the side of the pan housing. Well, from past experience I am real careful when installing brass or steel into aluminum.

I installed the sender into the adapter at 15 ft lbs. I then installed (with locktite sealer) the adapter into the pan housing with 12 ft lbs. I just could not make myself go any tighter than that. The adapter is still about 3/16 or so from being flush and the sending unit will still go farther into the adapter if I keep tightening. I want to make sure the end of the sending unit is "far enough" into the oil passage to work correctly. I hope I have worded this where everyone understands what I am trying to describe.

Also, can anyone give me an idea about the markings on the gauge as far as the temp "graduations" values. I have not been able to find anything from HD on this. It has 110, 180, 230, 260, and 350 marked. It has 4 black dots spread over the face also. Does anyone know the temp values the black dots represent? It is a little hard to figure the values. Thanks for any help on this.

Mike

I installed the sender into the adapter at 15 ft lbs. I then installed (with locktite sealer) the adapter into the pan housing with 12 ft lbs. I just could not make myself go any tighter than that. The adapter is still about 3/16 or so from being flush and the sending unit will still go farther into the adapter if I keep tightening. I want to make sure the end of the sending unit is "far enough" into the oil passage to work correctly. I hope I have worded this where everyone understands what I am trying to describe.

Mike

Mike, I am not familiar with the Exact kit you are installing but I think I know what you are referring to. In most cases, sending units, adapters & fittings that will have fluids passing through them, have Taper pipe thread. The threads are not a straight cut similar to a machine thread on a bolt. If they are Taper pipe thread, don't run those fittings up flush. As long as the threads are clean & you use locktite 271, just snug them up & give it 1/2 turn and your done.

Can't help you on the "dots" since I have never seen the unit you are referring to. Would you have a part number for your kit.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sender is tapered and I think the adapter was also. That is the reason I did not tighten it until it was flush, it just felt too tight. The kit is HD PN 75324-05A. It is one of the new kits with the sender that fits in the oil pan.

Mike, Your right it is hard to determine what the dots represent. It looks to me that each division is 10 degrees. As the divisions go up, I would call the first "void" (at 9:30) 110 degrees. Then add 10 degrees per division till you get to the 2nd void (at 2:30) which would be 350 degrees. 12 o'clock is 230 degrees. Looks like the final division would be something like 440 degrees to me.

That's what it appears to me but all I have is a small picture.

Last edited:
Back