free website stats program HD oil cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

HD oil cooler

I just installed a HD oil cooler on my 09 FLHX, it was a fairly simple procedure. I started the bike to check for leaks and noticed the the oil psi was about 34 psi @ idle and would move higher with increased RPM's. I don't remember the oil pressure being this high prior to the install. Is there a problem? I don't want to ride the bike untilI am certain everything is OK

Thanks in advance,
Glen

I just installed a HD oil cooler on my 09 FLHX, it was a fairly simple procedure. I started the bike to check for leaks and noticed the the oil psi was about 34 psi @ idle and would move higher with increased RPM's. I don't remember the oil pressure being this high prior to the install. Is there a problem? I don't want to ride the bike untilI am certain everything is OK

Thanks in advance,
Glen

I have a Jagg on mine, but they are very similar.

When the bike starts with "cold" engine and oil, the oil pressure will be higher. You may just not have paid attention to it before. My bike starts out with the oil pressure above the "32" mark on my gauge. Not sure what the real reading is since this gauge does not seem to be linear. I have never put an actual instrument quality gauge on the engine to see what the real pressure is and calibrate the dashboard gauge. With increased rpm, you do get increased oil pressure. In the Winter, this can approach the top reading on the dash gauge. As the oil heats up and the viscosity drops, you will see a corresponding drop in the oil pressure.

At this point, I have the stock stuff that comes with the roller chain conversion on my bike inside the cam chest. When the oil is good and hot (like over 200*F), at idle the pressure is just a couple of clicks or so above the "0" line. I am thinking about putting my Baisley Spring (LMR-002) back in the support plate on my next oil change. It will raise the oil pressure 10-15%.

So I think you are OK. Ride it around and see if the oil pressure doesn't come on down as the oil temp. goes up. BTW, if you have an air temp gauge on your bike, think about swapping that out for the oil temp gauge. Much more valuable for keeping tabs on the engine's life blood!!

TQ

Last edited:
I just installed the Hd oil cooler, ran the motor for some time, Head hot to the touch
Shut engine off wait for oil to sattle. It's still on the dip stick the same as before i started, Do i need to run longer?

I would ride the bike for at least 20 minutes then feel of the cooler core to make sure there is some heat there. I think the head will heat up way before the oil heats enough to open the thermostat.

If the core is hot then the thermostat has to be open. Keep in mind that the oil expans when hot so it will show higher on the stick. My guess is the lines and core will only hold 4 ounces or so. I don't know if you would see much difference on the stick when hot.

If you ride it until the core is hot then check the oil, you should be OK.

Thanks
I just put some new stuff on like AC and exshusted, but i waiting for the tunner
so when i get that on i will be able go test,

Thanks
I just put some new stuff on like AC and exshusted, but i waiting for the tunner
so when i get that on i will be able go test,

A GOOD PRACTICE TO FOLLOW WHEN HEATING BIKE TO CHECK THINGS OUT while in garage with DOORS OPEN and JUST too cold to ride it.......

I always put a BIG fan on HIGH,,, at a angle off the right front of bike and run the AIR over the pipes and engine.. That way I CAN warm it as much as I need AND AS LONG AS I WANT and NOT SCORE THE CYLINDER WALLS....

The sitting and trying to warm (HOT) an OIL COOLED-AIR COOLED engine without running it down the highway can cause the pistons to WAY OVERHEAT and damage to the rings to piston wall..... It can happen...

just a suggestion to the many who read the forum....

signed....BUBBIE

Back