free website stats program HD Mid-Frame Air Deflector Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Mid-Frame Air Deflector Kit

ChopperDoc

I installed the HD Mid-Frame Air Deflector Kit, Part # 58022-07A on my 2000 FLHTC even though the description states fitment for '01-'08. The right side went on, as per instructions, without any problems.

On the left side, only one of the mounting holes lined up. I went ahead and mounted it with the one bolt and then drilled the other mounting hole using the deflector as a template for the location of the second hole.

You have to remove the seat to do the install but even with that the job took less than an hour.

This makes me think that they can probably be used on the '99 also.

They REALLY protect your thiighs from the heat and also direct air down onto the rear cylinder and rear head-pipe. I highly recommend them to anyone experiencing problems with the heat from the rear cylinder.

tn262s3.jpg

The pictures from the HD website do not give the viewer a good angle. If you get a chance can you post some pictures of your installation?

Looked at these yesterday & almost bought. Of course now that I didn't the temps will rise & they'll be on backorder - like my passenger sissybar (30+ days & counting).

tn262s3.jpg

The pictures from the HD website do not give the viewer a good angle. If you get a chance can you post some pictures of your installation?
I took some pictures of the mid-frame air deflectors today. How do I post them to the site?

Also took a picture of my bike to put on my profile - How do I post it? Under my profile it says that nothing has been entered, but I don't see an icon or anything to do the post.

I took some pictures of the mid-frame air deflectors today. How do I post them to the site?

Also took a picture of my bike to put on my profile - How do I post it? Under my profile it says that nothing has been entered, but I don't see an icon or anything to do the post.

Harley Davidson Community

Profile Picture
Max resolutions 250 (W) x 200

Max resolutions 100 (W) x 100

The HD Mid-Frame Air-Deflectors (HD Part # 58022-07A) can be mounted on '99 and '00 Touring Models with one simple modification. I will post pictures of the completed installation on Tuesday 7/7/2010.

1.The first thing I did when I opened the kit was to throw away all of the mounting hardware and replace it with stainless bolts (4), washers (8) and nylox nuts (4).

Mount the right-side deflector per kit instructions - It fits like a glove without any modifications. I

The HD Mid-Frame Air-Deflectors (HD Part # 58022-07A) can be mounted on '99 and '00 Touring Models with one simple modification. I will post pictures of the completed installation on Tuesday 7/7/2010.

1. Remove Seat

2. The first thing I did when I opened the kit was to throw away all of the mounting hardware and replace it with stainless bolts (4), washers (8) and nylox nuts (4). The stainless hardware and nylox nuts are a personal preferance. The hardware included with the kit will work just fine. Just remember to (blue) lock-tite the bolts.

3. Mount the right-side deflector per kit instructions - It fits like a glove without any modifications. I did the install by myself and used a pair of small needle-nose vice-grips to hold the nut/bolt from the top.

4. Mount the left-side deflector per instructions - Only one of the bolt holes will line up, tighten it up and you will use the remaining hole as a template for drilling a hole for the last bolt.

5. Using the deflector as a guide drill the remaining hole, install the mounting hardware.

6. Re-mount seat, checking to make sure the front tab is secure.

7. Stand back and admire your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just put two sets of the Kuryakyn Air Deflectors on, one on my 09 Electra Glide that took all of about 20 minutes to install and one on my buddies 02 Road King about 30 minutes to install on his. I went with Kuryakyn for two reasons 1) they come in a smoked or mirror finish that matches the bike better and it doesn't look like just a chunk of black plastic hanging off the bike. 2) J&P Cycles had them for about 20 bucks cheaper than what HD wanted for them.
I will say this though, "WOW" what a difference. no more fried thighs, even at stop lights the heat is less. The Misses even says she notices the difference on her legs. A real nice investment for a few bucks.
Enjoying the ride that's what it is all about. Have fun and stay safe.

I went with the HD because they were HD and seen mostly on the newer bikes. My primary reason for the installation was the functional aspect, but it also "newed" my bike up a little.

Back