free website stats program HD Leather Jackets - Are they worth it? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Leather Jackets - Are they worth it?

How much is your life worth to you?

If you think buying an expensive fashion accessory jacket is going to save your life you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle to begin with. Do you buy a $5000 crash helmet? $2000 boots? Probably not, but you should, as they are available, and are the best money can buy.

My local UK Harley Dealer has jackets with a price tag of GB£450

And no, I won't be buying one. I can pay for someone to tool Harley Davidson onto the back of a far better jacket, but at half the price.

Sorry wasnt saying money buys quality, just meant buy what you feel will keep you safe and comfortable and dont spare the cost if you feel an expensive jacket will suit you

I have been looking for a new Jacket to the one harley jacket comes with a armor in the elbows shoulders and back anyone try them out ...

HD Leather Jackets - Are they worth it? Yes and No as some are and some are not. When buying a jacket, look for fit, function, features and quality.

Are you able to cross arms and touch elbow to elbow, when you crouch down, does it cover you lower back. Are the zippers heavy duty metal, with reinforced stitching in the mating areas (they will see 1,000s of operations). The collar zips into Manderin style covering the neck and snap down to prevent flapping? Is the leather 1.3mm thick to protect from abrasion, fairly smooth to slide rather that dig in to asphalt (dare say I ask the question for you and your mate). Armor optional (they do make separate vest affairs for the upper torso separate) in case times are you do not want the bulk, as well as CE rated removable pocket in the zip-in removable liner for winter warmth.

I have used my Hein Gericke as above for 28 years and though it is a little heavy, has stood the test of time, still stiff (but flexible expansion panels help), and only the side handwarmer pockets need relined/sewn. HG is one of the OEM suppliers for HD so yes, some HD Leather Jackets are worth the price of admission. Just look and get fitted in a local store and make a deal comparable to the Internet price, but buy local to support the smaller suppliers...everyone wins :D

Ask yourself this question..... Why don't you see any racers, even the HD drag racing team, wearing HD leathers?

Well, HD doesn't make racing leathers...

But there are many companies that do. AlpineStars, Joe Rocket, SIDI, Arlen Ness, Icon and so on. And that technology is found in their street riding stuff.

I have some HD jackets. But I don't usually wear them when I'm riding. Most of HD stuff is over priced and not worth it...

I have jackets, gloves, riding pants from many different manufactures. I like wearing equipment from manufactures that have a racing background. They put research into protecting the rider. All my non HD jackets have armor, my gloves all have full fingers.

It's one thing to look cool wearing your Harley jacket riding down the road, protecting yourself is an other. Your riding clothes need to be up to the task if you have a get off... Road rash sucks. Not only that, it hurts like hell.

Don't limit yourself to just HD stuff. Icon makes a line of protective jacket for the HD crowd. So does Joe Rocket. Joe rocket is owned by racers and racers wear there equipment. I've seen high priced HD equipment come apart in a low speed front end tuck (15-20 mph) after the rider hit the ground. I also seen a medium speed (55-60 mph) hi-side that the rider walked away from without a lick of road rash because of the equipment he was wearing (AlpineStars/Joe Rocket/Icon). Sure the jacket, pants, gloves and helmet were all un-usable after the high-side. But it did it's job. The armor helps. The guy was just sore, other than a banged up ankle (he was wearing jungle combat boots). BTW, these two guys were riding Harleys

Just how much is your protection worth? It's better to "look cool" or be protected?

Back