free website stats program HD IDS-Isolated Drive System-tire wear | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD IDS-Isolated Drive System-tire wear

Sooooo, to answer my question....
The noise I thought was pinging from the front cylinder is really drive train / trans noise?
Probably not. IDS does eliminate a lot of driveline "clunkiness" and really refines the ride but doesn't cover up too many engine noises (especially with the lowers installed). I had pinging on my 07 ultra until i had a reflash from the dealer-no more pinging. If you're sure it's pinging don't let it go too long. Talk to Glider about air/fuel mix, stage one, pipes etc. he IS the master!

IDS "Cush Drive" has been used for years to reduce the "clunk" on high HP rear chain drive metrics...since the 70's...even my high strung Katana had one as standard equipment! They worked then, should work fine now...though as Glider says, only on selected models that have the hub able to host the cush drive block array inside.

Last edited:
Like NEWHDFAN74 says, this system has been around for years. Even my '72 Norton Combat Commando has it. After looking at the PDF install for this kit, I saw it was just the same.
Mine is on order right now, still $198.25, bearing install is now $12.
Hoping I'll get it before next weekend, preferably Friday, when the wife is gone. :s
(Been spending alot on the bike lately)

went from an 03 rk, to a 07 street glide which soon got totalled, then went to my 08 ultra, all i can say is NIGHT AND DAY difference from the 07 to 08.07 shifted like my ol 63 merc 3 on the tree.
i just turned 11,000 miles and been wondering bout the rear tire, as it s not showing any real wear. hmmmphhh! aint that some (EDIT)! i'll keep an eye on it.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
DO IT! It's the best improvement you can make on the 07 touring bikes. It makes a dramatic difference in the ride, sound and feel of the bike. I think you will agree too. I did it on my 07 RK and the difference was day and night.

Glider is my new hero. I put the IDS on my '07 RKC last night and cannot believe the change it made. I can get down to 35MPH in 6th gear without the annoying rattle can effect. Not that I normally do that, but I had to find out. On the way to work this AM, I was amazed at the smoothness. Thanks so much for the recommendation, well worth the price.
it took me ~1.5 hours to put this on, because I figured it was a good time to clean the wheel/whitewalls. Only thing I regret is that I didn't paint the dish part black. Oh, well, another HD project.

Glider is my new hero. I put the IDS on my '07 RKC last night and cannot believe the change it made. I can get down to 35MPH in 6th gear without the annoying rattle can effect. Not that I normally do that, but I had to find out.

That's the first thing I did too when I installed the IDS on mine. Amazingly smooth.

Glad you like it and I feel it's worth the $$$ too.

Back