free website stats program HD Heavy Breather - Not Compatible | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Heavy Breather - Not Compatible

colcop

Hi All,
I have just fitted a set of R&R cast twin cam heads to my 2007 CVO 110"
Road King.

My problem: The Heavy Breather Backplate does not fit. Two reasons, the new heads use larger breather bolts - half inch, and the fitting does not line up with the new bolt holes.

I was advised that S&S can provide, but contacted them with all the measurements and they said they could not help.

Anyone any ideas? Do not want to lose the Heavy Breather - it looks superb.

Many thanks

Hi Hobbit,

I spoke with the Harley techs, and although lugs are a litle out of line, it was machining the holes to take the half inch breather bolts that was the issue. They said that there was not enough metal and also they could not replace the rebate where the bolts tightens onto.

I might try to locate a custom machining shop to see what can be done. A bit of an issue in Singapore.

Many thanks for taking the time to assist me.

cheers

Attachments

• 214_1492.JPG
    214_1492.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 214_1495.JPG
    214_1495.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 43
Hi Bud,
They have sent me a K&N filter kit. The fittings do not allow use of the HD Breather - according to the HD techs anyway.
cheers

Why couldn't you drill out the head breather holes on the backing plate and if there isn't enough left to the outside of the holes use thin washers or a brass compression washer to compensate?

Hi Steve,
I am having the proposal to drill the back plate look at.
Just waiting for feedback.

The concensus from the HD folks is that there will not be enough strength left, as the backing plate has to be drilled to accept the larger bolt heads as well.

Exploring all avenues, because the Heavy Breather sure looks good.

Many thanks for your time and efforts.

Cheers

Hi Hobbit,

I spoke with the Harley techs, and although lugs are a litle out of line, it was machining the holes to take the half inch breather bolts that was the issue. They said that there was not enough metal and also they could not replace the rebate where the bolts tightens onto.

I might try to locate a custom machining shop to see what can be done. A bit of an issue in Singapore.

Many thanks for taking the time to assist me.

cheers

Just looking at the first pic you posted, it looks as if there is an insert of sorts where the bung is that the bolt goes through unless it just looks that way. Have you thought of trying to turn/rotate it if it is a bung, maybe some heat to help along?

2923d1240363696-hd_heavy_breather_not_compatible-214_1492.jpg

Just a thought.

Hi Glider,
Many thanks.......
The whole unit is cast aluminium and in one piece. I thought of trying to heat/bend the lugs outwards and then drill them to accept the half inch bolts.
I have been advised that the cast fitting will not accept the heating......
I'll keep on the research though............
Cheers

Back