free website stats program HD fitting | Harley Davidson Forums

HD fitting

boss429kiwi

Hi Guys (new)

After many years collecting cars and riding MX, I have decided to buy my first Harley @ 43. I understand that when it comes to style, it is VERY subjective.

However my problem is size. I am 6ft 6" and when I sat on a Fatboy, the guy at the shop said I make it look like a sportster. He then talked about extended controls and handle bar length etc.

I like the style of the Road King, but not a big fan on bags.
Question: Can the "hard" bags be changed to "soft" bags like the Heritage?

My favourite is the Softtail Deluxe, but I guess I am needing to modify to fit, such as controls and bars. Not a question, just thinking out loud.

I guess anything goes. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Gary
New Zealand

Gary

The road king classic comes with leather covered bags if that's the style you want. Look at mine in the avatar pic.

Gary, as big as you are you'll probably make any bike look small except for something like the V8 powered Boss Hogs!

If you're going to be doing any long days in the saddle, you'll probably want to be focusing on something from the Touring family of Harleys. The Road King is the only member of this family that is available with the leather bags so your decision becomes easy.

Otherwise, any of the Softails and Dynas can easily have leather bags added and the Heritage comes with them and a windshield.

Have fun with your research and shopping. Let us know what you decide on.

Thanks for the replies.

I was meaning swapping the harder leather Road King bags for the softer leather type.

What do Road Kings look like with the bags removed? I guess the shock is exposed etc. Could look cool?
Not a bagger guy, but love the size of a road King.

Gary

Thanks for the replies.

I was meaning swapping the harder leather Road King bags for the softer leather type.

What do Road Kings look like with the bags removed? I guess the shock is exposed etc. Could look cool?

Gary

Smitty posted a pic a while back of his RG without the bags - not a good look... I'm guessing a RK would look about the same.

Softails look ok with/without bags - but they don't have quite the mass of a touring bike.

Thanks for the replies.

Gary

Check out the profile picture of USMCWO05. He has replaced his RKC bags with softer bags. I bet he'll post closeup photos if you ask.

I've seen his bike up close. Very nicely customized and EXTREMELY well taken care of. If/when he ever sells it, someone will be getting a very nice machine.

Mid Wing

Gary
RKC without the bags is not a good look IMO
I didn't really care for the baggers either but planned on some road trips with the wife
so went for the road king (leanest of the bagger family) and now can't imagine not having the bags. Way handy.
Good luck on your quest

Thanks for the replies.

Gary

You don't have to do any swapping - the RK comes in 2 versions, 1 with hard bags and 1 with leather.

None of the touring bikes look good without the bags. I have seen a company that makes some sort of cover for the shocks so you can run without the bags but, IMHO, a bagger just looks out of proportion when you remove the bags.

Boss429Kiwi, I wish I had your problem...being only 5'6" most bikes feel large and heavy...and the Deluxe or Dyna are my size. Like many have said, probably should go with the Road King as it has the "look" witht the leather bags, or go with Deluxe or Dyna style and get removable leather bags w/ back plates that remove so you only see the two knobs and metal loop frame that keeps them from fouling the back wheel or belt drive areas.

Back