free website stats program hd dependable | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

hd dependable

I remember the liberty edition.....had a friend who had a liberty edition sportster that was an 1100. It was pretty cool looking.

There's a lot to be said about the old one's, much easier to work on. Sometimes more (computers) is not always better.

That's all subjective really, this younger generation finds it much easier to plug a scan tool in, then doing all the diagnostic themselves. sure with the modern bikes there's a lot of things that can't be fixed on the side of the road but they also don't need to be fixed on the side of the road as much (if ever) anymore.

There was another post that I can't add a quote from cause I'm on my phone, 80,000 has new top end every 20,00 and bottom end every 40,000, I'm sure you love your bike and dont mind doing it because in that era it was regular maintenance but If a twin cam needed a new top end that soon there would be something seriously wrong. Especially if it had been rebuilt and only went 20k miles the owner would more then likely bad mouthing the builder on all the Harley forums ( not saying there's anything wrong with your builds, just modern engines can go much longer before needing a rebuild )

s
That's all subjective really, this younger generation finds it much easier to plug a scan tool in, then doing all the diagnostic themselves. sure with the modern bikes there's a lot of things that can't be fixed on the side of the road but they also don't need to be fixed on the side of the road as much (if ever) anymore.

There was another post that I can't add a quote from cause I'm on my phone, 80,000 has new top end every 20,00 and bottom end every 40,000, I'm sure you love your bike and dont mind doing it because in that era it was regular maintenance but If a twin cam needed a new top end that soon there would be something seriously wrong. Especially if it had been rebuilt and only went 20k miles the owner would more then likely bad mouthing the builder on all the Harley forums ( not saying there's anything wrong with your builds, just modern engines can go much longer before needing a rebuild )

It's apples and oranges. As for the "young generation" and scan tools, I don't believe you purchase the scan tools HD uses. Sure you can read codes, but that's about it. That's why the younger generation, not quite sure the age bracket you are looking at because the average age of a Harley owner is north of 45, is spending more on maintaining their rides. Mainly because most, not all, can not turn a wrench or troubleshoot an issue. How many have a shop manual? How many can actually use it? When it comes to the electronics, it's replace piece by piece or take it to the dealer. That's unless you have troubleshooting skills and can find a way to TS without the electronic HD tools. And from what I've seen, most of the younger generation have little or no ability to troubleshoot. Those that can't do their own maintenance, will sell or trade their maintenance nightmare.

OEM Shovels, Pans, and Knuckles require maintenance. That's a fact of life. The time frames for maintenance is from experience. And owners of OEM era bikes know what works best for their rides. Ignition system issue on a "new" bike? Time for a tow to the dealer. Same problem on a shovelhead? Go to the nearest auto parts store and get a set of Chevy points for a 6 cylinder. Fuel pump failure on a new bike? Call for a tow. Needle valve failure on a Shovel, turn the fuel supply on and off to get you home. ABS failure on a new bike? Call for a tow. Front or rear brake failure on a Shovel, use the other bike to get you home. Dual failures on 2 separate brake systems, low chance of that happening.

Read the AMF Harley reviews and general opinions from the era. Their rep was TERRIBLE! But, those that ride them now enjoy them, enjoy working on them, and most of all, know how to work on them. They tend to keep them. Mine is not an everyday rider. But, it is my favorite ride. Or if they had one previously, many will go back and purchase one. Some build their own. Shovel and previous era motors are now after-market built and bullet proof. So the idea that "bad mouthing them on the Forums", remember, these OEM AMF era bikes are pre-internet. Complaints, issues and fixes where past mouth to mouth from rider to rifer.

We don't ride them because they are a modern mechanical wonder. We don't ride them because they are oh so cool. We ride them because there is a long term relationship that gives you the insight as what it meant to be a Harley rider of that era.

I'm not wanting to turn this thread into "which motor is better", each era has it's pros and cons. That's not the point of this post.

Camarosx2, have you ever ridden a Shovelhead? I mean real well maintained OEM era Shovelhead? I'm thinking probably not. They are a piece of history. A friend's 75 FLH looks basically like the Road King of today. My first year 1994 Road King looks just like the Road King of today. Looks are looks. Motors are motors. And, again, it's all apples and oranges.

Nothing more.

sledDog- let me start by saying that I totally understand what you mean and I do agree that the guys that grew up riding shovels or even pans know those bikes inside and out and they are very easy for you guys to work on. Im also in no way saying that modern bikes are any better then the classics. My main point is pretty much, what is easier for someone to work on is a lot more difficult for someone else and vice versa. I'm 34 and a lot of the younger then me generation can't fix a carb to save there life (unfortunately seen it a lot recently) but they've never had to because everything they have been around is fuel injected so it's easier to pull a trouble code and know where to start looking for them. I started riding dirt bikes when I was 12 and been on the street since I was 16 so I've been around carbs and fuel injection and with a basic multimeter and understanding they are both plenty easy to work on. Although I am an auto mechanic and I tend to forget diagnostics doesn't come as easy to everyone.

As for being dead on the side of the road theres plenty of tricks to get modern stuff going enough to get home too, banging on fuel tank while cycling key a few times usually will get an electric pump going again and I have nothing good to say about abs on a bike or linked brakes for that matter but anyways I'm really not trying to argue at all.

I've noticed in the past 10 years (atleast in the northeast) the average age of Harley owners has dropped quiete a lot not sure why but every year I see younger and younger ppl on Harley's and more of them too which is really nice to see.

Lastly your right I've never been on a shovel, oldest Harley I've rode was my dads old 80ci evo lowrider, I would love to take a shovel out if the opportunity ever came up. Just want to reiterate the fact that I didn't mean any disrespect at all and I don't feel any generation bike ,or person for that matter, is any better or worse just different and as long as you are enjoying it then that's all that matters!!!

No problems. Everyone knows what's best for them. Next time you are in East Central Florida, let me know. I'll see if a few of my friends with Shovels and Pans will meet up with you and do a little riding. Some of these guys and girls are in your age bracket and younger, some are older then me. We have an interesting mix of folks that keep HD history alive.

Back