free website stats program hd dependable | Harley Davidson Forums

hd dependable

kzsteve

I have had many thru the years . ive not had a new one , but the old ones never gave me any trouble .

There's a lot to be said about the old one's, much easier to work on. Sometimes more (computers) is not always better.

Not until the Evo came out would I trust an HD to make it across the US without some sort of leak or problem.

I had a 1965 Sportster that would vibrate and parts would fall off or crack.I have a 2017 and I love the minimal vibration at idle.Then I hear that people want them to shake! What's up with That?

Reliability and quality control are all up, since the old AMF days that added QA and helped fund modern manufacturing and tooling method updates to improve on the old dated core building processes. While it is true more computers are not necessarily better, the technology they brought, Electronic Ignition, EFI fueling greatly improved and lengthened the maintenance intervals, cleaner running with less plug fouling and oil contamination.

I rode an AMF XLCH Sporty ('73) for many, many years without a lick of trouble.

Enjoy,
Rich P

The AMF years seemed pretty bad.

I've heard they have a warehouse FULL of bikes from those years, that they can't GIVE away, but I don't know how true that is.

I've thought it might be fun to have a HD from the mid-forties to ride around on. I wonder how much different the ride experience might be?

Anyone in here that owns a 1945 - 1947 (let's say), or who HAS owned one of those from that year range, who might be willing to speak to that?

How different are they to drive? What are the characteristic differences between riding/driving a bike from the mid-forties, and bikes of today (aside from the obvious amenities)? Describe the funtional differences (shifting, braking, etc) and the seat of the pants "feel" differences.

It probably goes without saying but, I'm looking for a comparison between HD models, and not HD and another brand.

I own an AMF era super glide. A '77 FXE to be precise. Purchased it new. Problems? Just the normal leaks they all had. It's got 80,000+ miles on it, And is still actively ridden. It gets a top end every 20,000 and a bottom every 40,000. It got those in November of last year. Top ends are easy and I can now do one in about a day. The bottom end takes a little longer. About the only other thing I've done is replace the clutch basket and clutches. The trans is OEM. It's had wheel bearing, primary and drive chain and such. Again, all normal wear items. The only thing not stock is the brakes and the oil filter system. The in-tank stuff was not the best and was replaced with a high performance oil filter setup and oil cooler. The pie caliper and rear were replaced by PM billet units. But I still have all the OEM parts.

My brother owns a '76 Liberty Edition FXE. About the same mileage. He is the second owner and purchased it with 2000 miles on it. He has done brake and oil filter/cooler mods also, and has his OEM parts.

Both bikes still run the points ignition system.

Both bikes were ridden cross county, New Hampshire to California and back in the early 80s. And made trips up and down the East Coast many times since. They are still capable of making those trip again, multiple times. Maintenance and oil changes is the key to keeping AMF era equipment running. It's also part of riding. You take care of a shovelhead and it will last forever.

Back