free website stats program HD charging system | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD charging system

I'm having the same issues with my 03 FLHT. In my research I learned that if you replace the stator it is best to change the regulator also. When one goes so goes the other. I just ordered 3 phase 50amp system from Cycle Electrics which will upgrade mine from single phase. This system was recommended by many post I've read. I will let you know how it all turns out....Gezzer Glide

I'm having the same issues with my 03 FLHT. In my research I learned that if you replace the stator it is best to change the regulator also. When one goes so goes the other. I just ordered 3 phase 50amp system from Cycle Electrics which will upgrade mine from single phase. This system was recommended by many post I've read. I will let you know how it all turns out....Gezzer Glide

I think you will be surprised at how good this upgrade is:D

Rydn4fn,what problem are you having with your charging system? Just a bit of background on my original problems ,about a year ago my stator was leaking oil and I was having some intermittent problems,bike would idle high like 2k then when I stopped would return to normal also at times it would idle so low that it would die,but returned to normal when come to a stop.Took it to HD they changed my stator under warranty,but could never dup riding probs,these issues never resurfaced,I suspect the flaky stator was causing them.About 3 months after changing stator my battery stranded me had to trailer bike home wound up buying new battery. all was good for a few months then suddenly batt lite came on volt was 12 and dropping went home did a few checks no output at all from volt reg with 26 vac at stator,changed volt reg now good. The point im making is it seemed as if one thing led to another,a flaky stator takes out batt poss also damaged the reg,but when reg went it went no intermitts like stator and or batt may have given. Good luck Tom..btw your near leakey ever done the loop just got back last month..Awesome..

Tom, Sorry for not replying for so long just noticed your question. My problems i have been chasing for a while mostly revolves around low idle & voltage Issues with out going through all the stuff again you can look up my original post 07 Low idle speed ........from what you posted as your issues we have had very similar gremlins. I do have new battery and when i tested stator and regulator they showed good hot or cold,then on long trip months later voltage gauge running around 12 at idle went into Javelina HD they tested all and said good but suggested changing VR as they have had issues at temp, was going to let them change but none in stock. Took my chances and hit the road again did 500 plus miles with intermittent voltage and low idle. Made it home no problems still riding around here last couple months same issues but no failure. I actually pulled primary apart and did visual of the Stator all looked great no damage noted and no burnt smells from oil. Think I need to put REG on just don't like throwing parts at stuff when tests show things in Acceptable ranges. Just a note I have noticed my a/c voltages when checked now slightly lower than months ago. Guess I will buy Regulator and post the results. Rick

Im not really sure my idle issues were related to charging problems just seems a bit of a coincidence that since then the problem never has happened again. I would think the regulator could be purchased thru a number of places on line or thru indy shops J$P cycles would be one ive done business with in the past..good luck Tom..

Back