free website stats program HD charging system | Harley Davidson Forums

HD charging system

danroo

Ok here we go I ride an 08 Ultra classic. While riding the other day the voltmeter dropped from 14 to 12 and would not move even when revved up.....I checked and the battery was border line so I installed a new one. Still the voltmeter read 12 and at one point while increasing the rpm it went up to 16 and I immediately shut it down, the voltage regulator is approx. $250.00 and the stator is $150.00 or so plus install. Is there a quick way of determining which component is the problem as electrical parts are non returnable. Anyone help me out there? I heard there was a check one can do with a multimeter!

Ok here we go I ride an 08 Ultra classic. While riding the other day the voltmeter dropped from 14 to 12 and would not move even when revved up.....I checked and the battery was border line so I installed a new one. Still the voltmeter read 12 and at one point while increasing the rpm it went up to 16 and I immediately shut it down, the voltage regulator is approx. $250.00 and the stator is $150.00 or so plus install. Is there a quick way of determining which component is the problem as electrical parts are non returnable. Anyone help me out there? I heard there was a check one can do with a multimeter!

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-47714.html Here u go and report back:s

Jack, I actually was going by my 2009 38 amp regulator. My regulator # 74631-08 is $120 MSRP and $96 discounted. I was figuring the OP's regulator couldn't even be in the $200 range but it is. I am 3 phase at 38 amp. I wonder what makes his so much more $$.

Jack, I actually was going by my 2009 38 amp regulator. My regulator # 74631-08 is $120 MSRP and $96 discounted. I was figuring the OP's regulator couldn't even be in the $200 range but it is. I am 3 phase at 38 amp. I wonder what makes his so much more $$.

HMMM, good question, I may have to call my buddie in MN on this one:s

Is the 08 different than 07 ? I just bought a chrome one for my 07 $139.00 ,But he first needs to determine where his problem is dont want to start throwing parts at it!

Is the 08 different than 07 ? I just bought a chrome one for my 07 $139.00 ,But he first needs to determine where his problem is dont want to start throwing parts at it!

Tom did you buy from Local dealer or order online interested in getting one for mine as it is suspect in my isssues my dealer quoted $240 for the OEM

I bought from a indy shop its a drag specialties (I think) so its not oem did not price one from harley been running it since june no issues..

Rydn4fn,what problem are you having with your charging system? Just a bit of background on my original problems ,about a year ago my stator was leaking oil and I was having some intermittent problems,bike would idle high like 2k then when I stopped would return to normal also at times it would idle so low that it would die,but returned to normal when come to a stop.Took it to HD they changed my stator under warranty,but could never dup riding probs,these issues never resurfaced,I suspect the flaky stator was causing them.About 3 months after changing stator my battery stranded me had to trailer bike home wound up buying new battery. all was good for a few months then suddenly batt lite came on volt was 12 and dropping went home did a few checks no output at all from volt reg with 26 vac at stator,changed volt reg now good. The point im making is it seemed as if one thing led to another,a flaky stator takes out batt poss also damaged the reg,but when reg went it went no intermitts like stator and or batt may have given. Good luck Tom..btw your near leakey ever done the loop just got back last month..Awesome..

Back