HD Center Stand Return Spring

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Hermanater, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Hermanater

Hermanater New Member

During installation we had to remove the Allen Nut and it realeased the tennsion on the return spring. We have LQQKed and spoken to sveral people including dealers and no one can help. Please fwd how we can reset the tennsion on the spring ...

We had to loosen the HD Front Center Stand Allen Screw That Holds the Return Spring Tension. Does anyone know how to rest the tension ???

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  2. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I do not know anything about the centre stands or the spring mounts for them however i would tend to get the mount back in place then extend the spring and fit it
    here is a wee guide to what i do to evenly extend a spring for fitting
    Fitting a side stand spring - Harley Davidson Community

Brian

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I watched several installation videos and it would appear that the springs (there are two) are much like the return spring on a garage door. If so you would have to turn the shaft the spring is around and preload the spring. When you have the required tension replace the screw.

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Internal torsion springs like a garage door. I never thought about that until Don posted, and I looked at the assembly instructions. The spring is not even mentioned. Maybe if you Google "Harley display stand spring" you will get some information. If you enter "Harley center stand" you will get info about all of the aftermarket center stands for Harleys (the ones that lift the bike, not stabilize it.

5. Hermanater

Hermanater New Member

Warner,

Thanks my freind I will try this, do you have a source for the source of the instructions.

6. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

7. Hermanater

Hermanater New Member

I removed the center stabd and could not get it to reset. I tried to disassemble it there are two press pims I got one out but the other would not come out.