HD Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by cubalz, Oct 11, 2011.

1. cubalz

cubalz Member

I own a 2000 Road King Classic with 8,000 miles on it and have decided to install the Screaming Eagle hydraulic cam chain tensioner upgrade on it
    (part # 25284-08)

My question is this: I am not changing out the cams but I need to know what else I need to buy along with part #'s when getting this done. What I mean is that as I was reading the myriad of posts on this subject, I hear of replacing this bearing, that bearing, gasket blah and so on.

I want to order all of this at once and make sure that I have it all ready to be put back together correctly. I do not want to lose riding time due to having to order parts that I forgot about.

Before posting this question, I scoured the forum and read about this until I was cross eyed but still did not find the answers to the above questions.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

3. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

4. cubalz

cubalz Member

HDDon- My work computer will not let me open that file up. It is restricted.

Rubyred- I found those parts but what I am talking about is part #'s for the perifery parts like better bearings etc that I hear about on the forum.
  5. wolffman

wolffman Account Removed

You talkn bout the inner cam bearings? Torrington B-148 cam bearing. Look on ebay. $14 for 2.
  6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

7. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

There is a new kit ends with 11 and the oil pump is even better than the kit that ends in 08.
  8. oldscoolz

oldscoolz Member

i recently did the cam case upgrade on my 02 rk after going through a bunch of threads here. tq and glider (among others) provided excellent advice.

basically, I bought the -08 (not the new -11) kit from the dealer, used my old cams, put the new camplate, new hydraulic camchain tensioners, new inner and outer cam bearings, and new oil pump on. i bought the inner cam bearing removal and installation tool for ~$110 from ebay (heartland). i took the old camplate and cams to the stealership and had them put the old cams in the new camplate (they charged me $78 in labor to press the cams out plus the cost of the inner cam bearings kit). this saves u the cost of the guides and press necessary to do the work yourself.

i thought about replacing the lifters but instead i just removed the exhaust lifters and looked at them carefully. i didnt completely take the intake lifters out completely but let them drop down into the cambox as far as they would go. after checking them out, i decided to not to replace them. my bike has 42k on it.

there are several things that arent necessary to buy when you do this project. u can save some money by not getting the lifter retaining tool (a U shaped magnet). u can make a clip that works fine. and u don't need the oil pump alignment pins (but u do need to take ur time and get the pump lined up correctly before bolting it in place). and u don't need the cam/crank sprocket locking tool.

good luck. it is a very do-able project and there's lots of good advice by the guys in here.
  9. Charlies Harley

Charlies Harley Active Member

Well done Oldscoolz welcome to the forum
  10. MrSleepy

MrSleepy Active Member

I just had Gears and New cams installed on my 2000 RK . it whines but I'm happy with it. and The outside pad was broke and fell apart when the Wrench lifted it back.. So I guess I got lucky it was high priced but I plan to keep the bike and want it to be right..