free website stats program HD Brand oil... any different from other oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Brand oil... any different from other oil?

Baggh

Hey all,

I attempt to maintain my bikes as close to the manufacture's recommendations as possible... both of my Buells have their services done at the Harley Dealer and such BUT... well... I started putting Castrol 20W50 in my '08 Xb12S (I do my own oil changes) given the outragous orices of the HD brand oil.

I changed the oil in my '09 1125CR this past weekend... because its new I have that "new bike" want to stick with the manufacture's HD oil brand recommendation. However.. 3 qrts of oil for just under $20! grrrr...

So is there something special about HD brand oil or could I safetly stick with using Castrol (or equivilant non-environmental treated oil... I forget the official name for this type of oil)?

I feel like I am paying nearly double for HD's oil simply because it reads HD on the bottle.

thanks

The HD360 is a decent oil but the Syn 3 is not. There are many other oils that can be substituted for the Harley oil usually at a better price.

I would go the Amsoil route. I have it in all my vehicles, bike and power equipment. If you looking for the ultimate protection. Mobil one is another good alternative. I know you can get Mobil one and Royal purple at the autoparts store. I get amsoil from my brother who has a business account. All decent products.

HD brand oil is usually the cheapest oil you can buy Every year oil companies bid on producing their oil, they award the contract to the lowest bidder. They claim the Syn3 is good oil, they put it in my 05 Ultra Classic when they built the motor, I cannot wait to take it out, I can buy Amsoil cheaper than that stuff. That is my opinion for what it's worth.

The HD 360 is the standard dino oil and it's a better product than the Syn 3 that is made by Hugo Chavez for Harley. It's also a blend and not a real synthetic, for the money they charge for it, I would rather buy a quality oil like Mobil 1 v twin.

The day I put Castrol 20W50 in my old shovelhead was the day that my old shovelhead started to burn oil. Stick with a good motorcycle oil.

Hey all,

I attempt to maintain my bikes as close to the manufacture's recommendations as possible... both of my Buells have their services done at the Harley Dealer and such BUT... well... I started putting Castrol 20W50 in my '08 Xb12S (I do my own oil changes) given the outragous orices of the HD brand oil.

I changed the oil in my '09 1125CR this past weekend... because its new I have that "new bike" want to stick with the manufacture's HD oil brand recommendation. However.. 3 qrts of oil for just under $20! grrrr...

So is there something special about HD brand oil or could I safetly stick with using Castrol (or equivilant non-environmental treated oil... I forget the official name for this type of oil)?

I feel like I am paying nearly double for HD's oil simply because it reads HD on the bottle.

thanks

Baggh,

I heard your grrrr over here paying $20 for HD semi-synthetic oil, but I found Lucas Racing 100% Synthetic 20W-50 for $6.99 a quart at O'Reilly/Kragen Auto Parts retailer normally stocked and 1 mile from my house, no growl heard or required. :lolrolling

Since I change it out fairly often every 3,000 miles...not a bad deal. I change my tranny/clutch/chaincase oil every other oil change, both oils come out amber colored and straw colored respectively and no filings on the magnet. :s

I would choose not to use Hugo Chavez oil because of his Anti-USA bent...! :devil

Back