free website stats program HD Backrest for Touring Models | Harley Davidson Forums

HD Backrest for Touring Models

TQuentin1

Staff member
For those of you like me that get a back ache anytime we take a longer ride, a backrest may be a welcome addition to your touring bike. I have just added a HD adjustable backrest to my bike as show in the pix below. For my bike, these are the parts I used:

52501-09A Adjustable Rider Backrest, Smooth (list $99.95) $85.20
52593-09A Installation Kit, Adjustable Backrest (list $209.95) $164.40

Total $249.60

I bought these part through Zanotti's saving over $60 by doing so (free S&H for this level purchase).

This is a very easy up-grade that anyone can do. Nothing more than a couple of different size sockets (7/16" and 3/8") for a 1/4" drive ratchet, phillips screwdriver and some tie-wraps (and something to cut the tails off with).

TQ

Attachments

• 01-Get ready.jpg
    01-Get ready.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 02-Mount release lever.jpg
    02-Mount release lever.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 03-Mount release lever-2.jpg
    03-Mount release lever-2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 04-Mount release lever-3.jpg
    04-Mount release lever-3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 05-Route cable.jpg
    05-Route cable.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 06-Route cable-2.jpg
    06-Route cable-2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 07-Route cable-3.jpg
    07-Route cable-3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 08-Base mount.jpg
    08-Base mount.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 09-Backrest inplace.jpg
    09-Backrest inplace.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 10-Backrest inplace.jpg
    10-Backrest inplace.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 11-Ready to ride.jpg
    11-Ready to ride.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 12-Ready to ride.jpg
    12-Ready to ride.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
the back rest was the one option I had to have on my ultra - after many trips prior I would always slouch out after an hours ride . with the back rest I can ride all day without the back ache. if your back seat rider is the navagator , the maps hide under the rear flap & stay dry.

I put on the same setup. i did one modification, I pulled the adjustment mechanisum on the backrest (that lets you raise and lowe it and taped in a 3/8 bolt. It is much less obtrusive . I have to use a wrench to change positions, but I pretty much just leave it in the same place all the time.

Great post/visual TQuentin1 - thanks for sharing the detail(s). I have the "fixed" mount which isn't as fancy, but once dialed-in I never have to change position(s). Adjustable would be good too...

I'm going to add that on when i get my new zepplin seat. both at the same time will be a chunk of change, but think both will be worth it.

cass

Great post and great pics! I have the backrest on my '03 Ultra and I love it. I noticed the TFI that you have installed under the tank. Are you really happy with it? I hear so much about them that I am strongly considering getting one to reduce the darn decel popping that I get.

to all --- does the driver's backrest tend to make it more difficult for the lady passenger to get on and off???? it looks like it would naturally. if so, is that something she would get used to and not be a bother?

thanks
Bill (wanting to get a backrest)

=================================================

TQ --- great post!!! - really like all the pix you sent along.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the Harley BR on my 2011 rode glide and could not adjust do to numb hands. I replaced the seat and backrest with a Mustang seat and BR. Had on my electra glide and loved it. Same on rode glide. Mustang seats are great worth the price.

Back