free website stats program Hawg Wired, Hogtunes or Harleys Boom? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hawg Wired, Hogtunes or Harleys Boom?

I first replaced my 2 stock speakers with J&M's. Then replaced those with the Hogtunes speakers and amp. Then I added the Hogtunes tweeter pod. Each step was a noticeable improvement...BUT...I'm still not 100% satisfied with the sound quality at highway speeds. I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty much a losing battle to try and overcome the engine and wind noise and recreate that beautiful, family room, surround sound experience! Just physically and acoustically not going to happen!

However, I don't regret what I did. The system sounds GREAT below about 50MPH, in other words as long as you're not tearing down the interstate.

:rider I am getting the Uniq Cycle Sounds Classic Edition Handle Bar speakers with 300w amp - I'll let you know when its done!

I seem to be leaning towards Hawg Wired or J&M, anybody have experience or opinions on them side by side?

Thanks!

HogTunes work for me - one of the 1st things swapped when I bought the 09 FLHX & it's 1000x better than stock. I'm not one to blast stereo on a ride (mellow tunes) so didn't need to "amp" the sound more than stock. Good luck!

Try a "Boostaroo", website by the same name. They sell a small amp about the size of your thumb, iPod plugs into it and the Boostaroo plugs into your accessory jack on the front of the HD radio. Really boosts the sound and quality for under 30 bucks. All the Goldwing guys use them, that's where I first heard of them from a buddy that unfortunately insists on riding a wing instead of a Harley..

Rockford Fosgate come out with a new mini 300-4 amp. It is 4 ohm.
Paul Yaffee with baggernation.com is selling them, a wiring harness and speakers.
Its about the hottest deal for amps, speakers and all going on right now.
And the cheapest and puttin out plenty of power.

I just this past week installed Harley's Boom Audio speakers in my 07 Roadglide. The speakers are certainly louder than stock at the same volume level and much clearer. They do work fine on interstate riding,and are a big improvement. At very high levels and with the bass turned up you do get distortion. It is probably in the Harmon Kardon unit rather than the speakers. That being the case the Boom Audio speakers are an improvement, but if you want loud and clear, you probably need an amp also.

I had HD Boom speakers in my 08 FLTR, and they were way better than stock. I then upgraded(?) to Hog Tunes new 5X7 REV/RG kit, NCA 70.2 140w amp and 2 5X7 speakers. So did my friend in a FLHX. It (EDIT) . The RF interference would not allow me to play the radio, and the distortion at road speed was horrible. I called Hog Tunes tech line and they told me that the prototype amps were OK, but the production amps had issues, but they were working on a fix. 2 months later, they called and asked for my address, which I gave them. I never got the replacement amp, so I called them. They told me the first batch of "fixed" amps had issues, so they weren't sending out any more. I sent the whole kit back n went with J&M ROKKER 250w amp and speaker kit...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great topic. I just did some serious research regarding a sound upgrade. They are all nice. Take into consideration, cost, ease of install, and general sound. At 75mph good luck hearing any real quality, its just getting bounced around by the air.
Therefore, I bought and installed the Boom Audio kit, factory Harley. All screws, tye raps, wiring looms directions for dummies, what more could you ask for. It is a much better price than the others, especially after a 20% from one of the online dealers. It takes about 5 hrs to install, and it sounds excellent. I can hear it at 85mph. For a $600 investment, J&M wants more than that for an amp. Plus their oversize speakers that weight a metric ton attached to the new cheap ABS molded batwing, I wonder how long until it breaks. You also need a flash upgrade from the Digital Tech, from your local HD dealer. Mine did it for FREE

Last edited:
this flash uprade you speak of, what is it? I have all 4 boom spreakers and then added the amp this year. What does the flash do?

Back