free website stats program having trouble blowing right hand turn signal bulb | Harley Davidson Forums

having trouble blowing right hand turn signal bulb

ron1978

i have recently replaced the bulb in the right and side of my bike like 5 times , (turn signal)i'm using eiko heavy duty bulbs, i can put it in and it'll ride good for about 2 miles and blow, just the running light element, not the turn sig filament, it'll still flash to turn it just won't stay lit, i have looked at all my wires and see no harm, what should i look for and were to look at? thanks if you can help

wiring of course .. the socket itsself.. front or rear? since its 2 element im guessing front?

As Bud suggested, the socket itself is likely the cause.The contacts rot out over time.You likely need a new lamp assembly convieniently sold in pairs.Pull the bad bulb, then pull the good one opposite it and visualy compair the condition of the contact points.

The pigtail and contacts for the front signal/running lamp is the same as is used on any cheap double filament trailer light,buy one for a couple bucks,remove the bulb and slide the pigtail out in the same direction the light came out.Use the pigtail and discard the light.Much cheaper then buying the "GENUINE" HD part.:s

If you don't find a problem with what all others have said.
make sure you are getting 1157 or 2357 not 1057 or 2057.

i replaced entire right turn signal , it fixed it, apparently it was shorting on the housing some how, but it fixed , thanks to all that helped me out!!
replacement $28.00

It is a thin wire passing thru metal bits insulated by only rubber grommets...may want to "dissect" the takeoff one to have as a spare, once you fix and replace the errant wire/insulator/socket root cause. Not that turnsignals will ever need replacement in their lifetime...:lolrolling

Sides, every HD rider I know has a drawer full of takeoff parts for those little emergencies to cover garage parking "incidents." :(

Back