having trouble blowing right hand turn signal bulb

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by ron1978, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

i have recently replaced the bulb in the right and side of my bike like 5 times , (turn signal)i'm using eiko heavy duty bulbs, i can put it in and it'll ride good for about 2 miles and blow, just the running light element, not the turn sig filament, it'll still flash to turn it just won't stay lit, i have looked at all my wires and see no harm, what should i look for and were to look at? thanks if you can help

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

wiring of course .. the socket itsself.. front or rear? since its 2 element im guessing front?

3. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

front

4. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

As Bud suggested, the socket itself is likely the cause.The contacts rot out over time.You likely need a new lamp assembly convieniently sold in pairs.Pull the bad bulb, then pull the good one opposite it and visualy compair the condition of the contact points.

5. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

The pigtail and contacts for the front signal/running lamp is the same as is used on any cheap double filament trailer light,buy one for a couple bucks,remove the bulb and slide the pigtail out in the same direction the light came out.Use the pigtail and discard the light.Much cheaper then buying the "GENUINE" HD part.:s

6. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

sounds good to me

7. springer03

springer03 Active Member

If you don't find a problem with what all others have said.
    make sure you are getting 1157 or 2357 not 1057 or 2057.

8. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

i replaced entire right turn signal , it fixed it, apparently it was shorting on the housing some how, but it fixed , thanks to all that helped me out!!
    replacement $28.00

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

It is a thin wire passing thru metal bits insulated by only rubber grommets...may want to "dissect" the takeoff one to have as a spare, once you fix and replace the errant wire/insulator/socket root cause. Not that turnsignals will ever need replacement in their lifetime...:lolrolling

Sides, every HD rider I know has a drawer full of takeoff parts for those little emergencies to cover garage parking "incidents." :(

10. ron1978

ron1978 Active Member

yea these are only 9 years old.