free website stats program Having to settle for softail ! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Having to settle for softail !

If a softail is settlement I take that deal :)
Give it a chance softails are great bikes also.
cleanit.jpg

Looks like the snow is melting Smitty.:D

That is one beauty of a bike Earl. You've got to be lovin' it. I am torn between what I want to get next bike up. (just got my 1st HD in December - a Sporty). I just love the look of the Classic. But some of those Dynas look great too. Spoiled for choice really. But I'm going to get a lot of experience and enjoy the XL first and give it a year or two.

Thanks, I do love it but what gets me in trouble is I spend more time with her than I do my wife.:D She does not ride much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '99 FXSTC and love it. It was built by Thunder Mountain in CO. For my wife, I changed the seat to a Mustang Wide Regal. She loves it. I take it on road trips(MO to AZ and back) and have never ached at the end of the day or the next day. This is even after 600 mile days. The thing to keep in mind is that you are not going to be traveling a long distance each time you are on it and therefore will not have the extra weight when you don't need it.

Don't jack around...Buy the bike you want. If you want a Road King, then get a Road King. Here's the deal: If you settle for something less than what you want, then all you are going to do is this: "(EDITED), I wish I bought a Road King". Then eventually you will be forced to sell or trade your Softtail at a MAJOR loss... Just go get the (EDITED) thing!

I have a 94 Springer Softail, and I will never part with it...ever. But that's me. That is what's cool about HD's, they all are different...but they all are (EDITED). I always tell people a man needs 3 Harleys, a Softail, (cruiser), a Sportster, (small and lots of fun), and a Road Kill, (big and bad for the long haul). Of course you got to get the Dyna Wide...old school knuckle...oh and get you a panhead chopper...oh crap don't forget the Deuce....etc...etc...

I am new here and looking for servicing info on my springer front end, I will update my profile with some pics of my bad to the one Springer. NOSHOW

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

You do NOT have to have both feet on the ground when you stop. This is a total myth. Don't take my work for it, Motorman (the guy with the Pro-riding DVD's that does shows at nearly every bike rally) says it. I am living proof. I can't touch the ground with both feet on my 07 Fatboy! That's how short I am. So what do I do? I keep my left foot on the foot board and lean the bike to the right slightly and plant my right foot on the ground. No problemo! I can get both feet down enough to back out of parking spaces, but have to be careful not to be sloping downward. This is all with the stock seat. With my other seat (Brawler) I can get both feet down. But that seat is not for long rides. Get the Road King if it was your first choice. You WILL be able to ride it. I can, and I'm 5'6"!(0n a good day)

You do NOT have to have both feet on the ground when you stop. This is a total myth. Don't take my work for it, Motorman (the guy with the Pro-riding DVD's that does shows at nearly every bike rally) says it. I am living proof. I can't touch the ground with both feet on my 07 Fatboy! That's how short I am. So what do I do? I keep my left foot on the foot board and lean the bike to the right slightly and plant my right foot on the ground. No problemo! I can get both feet down enough to back out of parking spaces, but have to be careful not to be sloping downward. This is all with the stock seat. With my other seat (Brawler) I can get both feet down. But that seat is not for long rides. Get the Road King if it was your first choice. You WILL be able to ride it. I can, and I'm 5'6"!(0n a good day)

Clayvis

Regardless of what motorman says this is not a myth at all. If you get into a situation that isn't picture perfect like if you stop on uneven ground where the ground is lower on one side of the bike than the other and your height keeps you from reaching the ground on both sides of the bike with your feet, you'll find that if the bike leans over towards the side where the ground is a bit lower than the high side, by the time that your foot reaches the ground on the low side the bike will usually be half way to the ground and it's difficult to upright it again in that position.

If you want to confirm this find a decent size hill and stop the bike across the flow of the hill (perpendicular) and shift your weight from the high side to the low side and see what happens. Have a friend standing on the low side, you're going to need it.
The shorter a rider is the more of a problem this becomes.

Don't believe everything you hear and worse yet, don't tell it as gospel.

All I know is what I've experienced. I can not flat foot my Fatty with the stock seat. It has NEVER been an issue. I do have strong legs, but honestly I've never had to use that much muscle. You know it is pretty flat most everywhere in Florida....Naw that aint it, I've ridden my bike in the mountains too. I'm not a big fan of lowering bikes. I think it compromises the suspension and negatively effects handling. It is just my OPNION that it is not necessary to flat foot at stops, supported by my own experience. I know a guy has to live within his comfort zone, and I respect that. I also have alot of respect for Motorman. He seems to know alot more than most on this subject.

Sure you can ride otherwise, but to say it makes no difference is rediculous. Buy a bike that fits you or can be safley modified to do so. I don't really care how strong your legs are there are situations where it can be dangerous without solid footing. That is just a fact.

Buy the RK. The softail Deluxe was my first love but
I bought a Dyna Street Bob and had a blast with it but in the back of my head I always wanted the deluxe. Last year I traded it in and bought my current bike...Softail Deluxe. Couldn't be happier with it. Fits me beautifuly and is great on long and short trips, with and without the wife. But that's just me, and for you, I say buy the Road King and don't look back!!!

Although a Dyna rider, I am a HUGE fan of the Softail family, especially the FXSTC Softail Custom. I love the look, the seating, the ride, and everything. To me, it is what a Harley-Davidson should look like. I give you props for going the route that makes you happy!

Back