free website stats program Having electrical problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Having electrical problems

robertcox

I have a 95 Harley Electraglide when I turn the switch the headlight will come on but get no lights on the dash, turn signals and radio, guages do not work. I thought it was the battery at first. It has been on the charger and still nothing. I looked for a loose or broken wire but did not find anything. would the switch cause this to happen?

robertcox welcome to the forum. First thing you should check would be the fuses. Check them with either a DVOM or at least a test light. Visually checking then can be deceiving at times.

I have a 97 Electraglide with a similiar issue. Mine is intermittent, the radio will go off and the lights you mentioned don't work. Hope you get some advice and maybe I can use it to. If I find the problem, will post the fix.

I have a 97 Electraglide with a similiar issue. Mine is intermittent, the radio will go off and the lights you mentioned don't work. Hope you get some advice and maybe I can use it to. If I find the problem, will post the fix.

Your issue sounds more like a connection problem or possibly a broken wire. Try checking all your electrical connections and grounds and reassembling using dielectric grease on the connections. Look for any corrosion in the fuse panel while your at it.

It sounds to me like a bad ground issue at some point or find a common feed that supplies power to all the systems not working. This is where the factory manual comes in handy with the schematics.

Most often over looked connections at the starter solenoid, look under the rubber flap is it corroded, clean it and tighten it, also make sure the mounting bolts are tight or you will loose a ground:s

I checked all connections and finally found the positive battery just slightly loose. Cleaned , greased , reconnected and the problem is no longer a problem. This is the second electrical issue I have had and both were bad cable connections.

Battery cables should be a part of routine maintenance. When you do a maintenance at 5/10/15/20K etc. they should be cleaned and reinstalled.

Neg off first and on last, no sparks or surprises that way.

Glider's statement about the negative batt lead off first and on last is good practice. If you don't follow it; you will eventually let the magic smoke out of the electrics and make yourself unhappy.

Back