free website stats program Have you CRASHED.....yet? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Have you CRASHED.....yet?

I've got this theory. Of course it can be easily disproven. At least in my family it's worked out that if you do your falling down in the dirt when you're first learning, it makes it much easier to avoid falling down on the pavement.

It's also much cheaper to fix.

I gotta find a piece of wood to knock on. My head is the only thing handy.

Hello,

I will have to agree with BFMitch I spent years riding in the dirt. starting with minis@10yo and ending with open class desert racing/enduros and crasshed my brains out till I was 23, my body took a beating to the point that I had a hip replaced 3 years ago for the wooping I put on it back then, but now I seem to be very attuned to everything going on around me in traffic and emergancy evasion seems to be second nature. With that said I will be taking the riders edge course this spring with my son as a refresher. I have not crashed on any street bike yet, but I did drop (slowly) my road king on my slopping driveway once last year with the wheels on the uphill side and had to have my son help me pick it up.

Kevin

OK I wasn't considering dropping the bike in the parking lot as a crash.

Almost did that last year just after I got the Sportster. Had a little brain fade and forgot to put down the jiffy stand before I got off. I managed to hold it up.

When I grew up the drops and or crashes seemed to stop.

And therein lies the clue. Looking back at myself when I was young I have no idea why I am still alive. I actually hit a tree once. Those things are tricky, they will jump right out in front of you.

They always say: "With age comes wisdom". I think just maybe common sense finally creeps up on you.

When I first started riding, had a slow speed drop while trying to do a u-turn in a ridiculously expensive country club neighborhood. Worst damage was a bent shifter.

Plenty of close calls, but I've learned from them (and cleaned my "shorts" afterwards).

Ride safe, and remember, "There are no fender benders with a motorcycle."

9 years ago i went into the side of a hill at 65mph ,couldnt walk for a year ,had 10000 miles on a new electra glide , havent had a drink sence ,

the first day I got my bike, never rode a harley before just a couple dirt bikes, I was comming home from the dealer on ocean ave, went to downshift as I was going over bridge and couldn't, I realize my shifter peg fell off (new bike with 11 miles on it) I pulled over to turn around, thought I was in 1st, hit the gas, let out the clutch, flew across the road because I was in 2nd, into the shoulder and down I went, I never knew how hard it was to lift a 600lb plus bike, people just drove by and never offered to help, glad I didn't get hurt I could of laid there a while before someone stopped

My Suzuki 550 fell over. I was taking it off of the center stand. The weight shifted, I thought I had it. I thought I had it all the way to the pavemet... Had to get the neighbor to help me get it back up.

Embarrassing.

I won't count all the biffs and dumps and crashes on my dirt bikes in my teenage years.

I dumped my Suzuki GT 250 on a wet rode when I was 16. I was gettin on it a bit comming out of a parking lot and lost the rear end, over corrected and dumped it on the rode and slide laying on top of it for quite a way. Bent up and scraped the bike but nothing bad. Haven't dropped a bike since.....knock knock...

Back