free website stats program Have you CRASHED.....yet? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Have you CRASHED.....yet?

Yes when I was 32 I hit a pick-up truck that turned in front of me.....At 65 miles an hour that was a very bad scene....lucky to be alive......but out of it came a new respect for bikes and the ability to pay closer attention to the road conditions around me.

Just recovered (almost) from a crash occurred on Dec 1st (my 50th Birthday...): three broken ribs and pain here and there!
(luckily I destroyed my scooter, not the Harley! :s)
A car entered a Xing without giving the way to me (yield sign). I saw him, but the road was wet and when I braked... I lost control of the front wheel and hit the car. :(

But I had other accidents in my life with different bikes.
I rememer one when I entered a curve too fast, went to the opposite lane and hit the guard rail on the other side.
I didn't fall, but the guard rail cut my shoe and the top of my left foot: luckily no cars from the opposite direction and I only got some stitches on my foot...

I think that having one or more accidents it's a thing a biker must take into account even if riding super safe: many times it's not your fault but somebody's else! :eam

Ciao
Ugo

Last edited:
Have crashed every bike I've owned.. including the present one: fine gravel over fresh tar on a curve, touched the brake without thinking: wrong reflex. Only time I ever laid one down, I was drunk, pulled up to a light & forgot to put a foot down. Went over like the guy on a trike on Laugh-In. It was pretty funny, even then. Oh yea, there was the time I was riding a plank up the front steps into the living room & had neglected to open the door a crack. Landed in the bushes beside the door with the bike on top. That was pretty funny too and I had an appreciative audience.

There are 2 types of riders... Those that have had a "get off" and those that will. All riders are in one of those 2 catagories.

And yes, I have had get offs... On the street, they have all been bike drops or low speed slides (sound of me knocking on wood). On the track, I've had everything from low sides and high sides (at speed) to being run off the track in the corners because of back markers not giving way.

Riding on the street requires a different type of situational awareness. There's a lot more variables to deal with...

Have crashed or hit the pavement since 1965. Total of 4 times. My crash 1972 in Naples Italy scared me so bad I stayed off a bike for 25 years. Plus I had kids growing. In retrospect I have also rolled and totaled 2 cars and had many fenderbenders. If you drive long enough you will probably crash, but it is important to work on not crashing.

Everytime I have gone down it was due to unexpected road conditions...a dog, cobble stones with water, a trolly track, mud on the road. Now I drive with a training wheel. Once you go hack you may never go back!

Yes - one of the first days on my bike. Came to a corner the street department deemed a 10mph right hand curve. I think a 3 way stop would have been more appropriate. Judging by the size of the boulders the home owners had lined the front yard with - they too felt the curve needed some correction of speed limit.

I took the riders edge course. I knew what to do. LOL Yes, I was going to fast. Speeding up and leaning into wasn't going to work. So the path was clear - I straightened my bike out - saw the gravel drive ahead and made a perfect stop. I was so proud.

Then my foot slid and I dropped the stupid bike. Picking up a 360+ pound bike was not fun. No one ran out of the house to help. In fact - I sat there for a while - Like I said - I think the homeowners were use to this. Hey - didn't take out their mailbox. It happends.

In the early days of flat tracking, yes, several times and once to the hospital. Really sucked to say the least. Heck, I even had many brain cells at the time, but just didn't get it when it came to letting off the throttle. In those days we were not allowed to have brakes either! Was it fun, yes and I'd do it all over again.

Now since then, I've dropped the bike a few times in the snow and once in a parking lot when my leg cramped up on me. I haven't dropped my current bike nor have I been in an accident . . I think I'm good. But,. . Now I'm ever practicing, watching and playing the "what if" with escape routes all the time.
Ugly John

Yup...

1st time in 63. Failed to negotiate turn. Gravel. Riding too fast. My fault.
2nd time in 65. Ditto.... My fault.
3rd time in 66. Ditto.... Twisty pavement. My fault.
4th time 71. Foot peg caught high ripple in pavement in turn. Too fast. My fault.
5th time 72. Sand blown onto pavement in turn. Too fast. My fault.
6th time 89. Left bar. Stopped to make U-turn. Front tire slipped in Anti-freeze. Bike layed down. My fault.
7th time 90. Fell over in bar parking lot. My fault.
Ooops..missed one here. 91. Left bar 1am. Goggles fogged up. Missed driveway. Fell over. My fault.
8th time 97. Fell over popping front time onto sidewalk at bar. My fault.
See a pattern here? Hope you do and learn. Fortunately, I did.

Dirt bike and atv crashes don't count.

Next time? Probably will not be my fault. I'm older and smarter now. And, with
my wife aboard, I am very careful and pay much attention!

Ride safe

Twoup - glad all those turned out ok for you. I met a guy who started showing me the multiple injuries he had sustained from wrecking his bike many, many times. Then he asked "Want to go for a ride?" - I said "No - but thanks." So I was thrown when you mentioned the wife on board. LOL

Back