free website stats program Have some wiring question , new to this | Harley Davidson Forums

Have some wiring question , new to this

I have some wiring questions about my 87 Harley Sportster blinkers and I don't know where else to look besides the forums. Thanks, Ethan

Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ
Try posting your question in the electrical section here on the forum, you'll get more help as not everyone looks at the new member intro.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. I am not sure why you cannot post in other approved areas, hopefully Steve07 can take a look at your account and let you know. The only thing I can think of, is that with our 'new' forum software, there may be some different requirements for new members.

Thanks, I'm stumped with my wiring on my bike with the blinkers and load resistors.
While were waiting to see why you can't post in the correct area how about telling us what your problem is and we'll see if someone can help.

Well I am trying to wire the turn signals on my 87 Sportster. I got it and it had non on it. So I went with LED, I got a dual load equilizer, wired it into my harness first and it did not work , my left blinker would stay lit and the right one would not light up and the flasher would make a spring noise pretty loud but wouldn't light the light.
I do not have the front ones wired up, there are just hanging wires, would that be an Issue?
After taping into the harness and that didn't work I wired the load equalizer right to the existing blinker wires grounded the equalizer along with the blinkers and wired the blinkers to the existing wires. Same results. I'm stumped

Would there being no front blinkers non the bike at all cause an open circuit and cause my problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need front blinkers to complete the circuit. You do not need load equalizers on an '87, they didn't have sophisticated elec. system. Also note, '87's do not have self cancelling signals. They require the button to remain pressed for the signals to flash. BUT it is possible that a previous owner installed an aftermarket module (made by Badlands) that lets the signals flash. As with any 30 yr. old machine, no telling what previous "custom" wiring you may discover.

Back