free website stats program Haunted Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Haunted Ultra

dhbunky

Please help!!!!
My '98, 95 Anniversary Ultra has recently developed a voltage "spike" issue. When this occurs, my headlight (low and high beam), passing lamps and radio/communication unit burn out. But no blown fuses except for the 5 amp on the ignition module.
About 8 years ago I replaced the OE 36 amp stator and regulator with 45 amp units. No problems until this year.
This has occurred 3 times this season.
Any ideas on what causes the spike?

I agree with Jack. Sounds like the regulator quits regulating every so often.

To further the confusion.........

the factory, electronic cruise control has stopped working. Diagnostic code says switch or related wiring is shorted. Everything tests out OK - no evidence of shorting.

While the radio/communications unit is out for repair, the bike runs perfect - in all weather. Drove through a torrential downpour to see if anything would happen - nothing.

Once re-installed and plugged-in, you can count on a problem. Just don't know when!!!

Harley Davidson Forums
Follow this link, sounds like a bad regulator
Welcome to The Forum
Harley Davidson Forums

To further the confusion.........

the factory, electronic cruise control has stopped working. Diagnostic code says switch or related wiring is shorted. Everything tests out OK - no evidence of shorting.

While the radio/communications unit is out for repair, the bike runs perfect - in all weather. Drove through a torrential downpour to see if anything would happen - nothing.

Once re-installed and plugged-in, you can count on a problem. Just don't know when!!!

Torrential downpour diagnostic testing?
Did you follow the links in Jack's post #2? :bigsmiley6:

You need to check your charging system. You are not getting voltage spikes from anywhere else.

Back