free website stats program Hauling ultra in a truck? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hauling ultra in a truck?

yea I agree, but:
1. not enough time....3 day weekend
2. wife and oldest daughter coming along.
3. have you looked at the weather. Very chilly even taking the southern route.
I'd rather be rideing... but I would want at least a week just to see all the sites!

A few years back I saw a pair of bikes that had been 'mating' in a trailer for a couple of hundred miles & those folks had belated but serious second thoughts about those little spring loaded tiedown straps. We've hauled two bikes in our enclosed trailer for years & have evolved to Condor wheel chocks & 4 to 6 ratchet straps per bike. The Kuryakyn fork mount units are great for the front & the rear floor board mounts offer good strapping points to keep the back of the bike in its place. I sometimes add a third strap (per side) on the front fender mounts for extra peace of mind. I'd like to think the bike would still be strapped to the floor, upside down; if the trailer ever goes 'turtle'. An ounce of prevention.............. I'm just sayin'

I saw on a satellite sport channel, a trailer that tilted down with ramp that seemed like a better way to load a big heavy and lowww chopper, guy just rode it up the ramp to a wedge stop/ wheel chock, put the side stand down and tied it in easy as pie. Don't know what the price of it was, but it was sure neat and easy.

by the way if you can dump the air in the shocks, this will help when pulling it down. make sure you pull your bike down to compress the shocks, any bounce in your bike could result in the straps working loose. Hauled my ultra from alabama to arizona several times when traveling on vacation, although not in a truck, but same problem. don't use the cheap straps, get good ones. I never used more than 4, one on each corner. the tire chock helps a lot.

I am going to trailer my bike for the first time next week. I have never trailer anything before and don't know what I am in for. The bike is about 650#'s. The trailer I am renting is all aluminum and it has this curb channel down the center. I wish it was a wood floor so I could use my Condor but it is not. This trailer only has this curb channel, a front stop and 6 places for ratchet straps. I have 6 good quality ratchet straps and 6 soft ties. How much should I pull down on the triple tree and rear shocks? I was thinking about 1/2 way?

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.
The car is an 05 Mustang GT that weights in at 3600lbs.

Best off if you use a carpeted block under the frame and pull down on that to eliminate suspension problems.

Best off if you use a carpeted block under the frame and pull down on that to eliminate suspension problems.

I have done the wood block thing several times. Works great! The bike is as snug as can be. No movement whatsoever and no worries about compressing the suspension.:D

Sorry, but I am trying to figure this out. Are you saying put a carpeted block under the frame, and then strap through triple clamp until it is solid down on the block? Just making sure I have this right as I will likely implement next time I have to transport bike in trailer. Thanks.:D

That's about the size of it. Doing it this way stops the suspension from being overly compressed once the frame rests on the blocks.Across the frame like under the engine or just to the rear a bit will do a good job.

Back