free website stats program Hauling ultra in a truck? | Harley Davidson Forums

Hauling ultra in a truck?

heartshot

Account Removed
I am getting ready to hual my 2005 Ultra cross country to L.A.. Have done some research about loading and unloading of the bike. I am good there! What is worring me now is the strength of the "tie down" loops in the side of the truck bed. I have install two tie down points(u-bolts with a backing plate) in the 3/4 " ply wood that the bike will be sitting on (to help distribute what little weight is on the begining of the tail gate evenly across the bed of the truck. Also a "Pingle" wheel chock is installed here. These tie-down points also get me the proper angle to miss my fairing with the tie down straps (from the handle bars with soft grips). In addition to these tow straps, I am going with 4 more ratchet straps, two from the crash bars, and two in the rear from the bag protector bars...each of these to the factory loops in the side(fenders) of the truck bed. Surely these 6 straps will be enough to hold this baby in place ..........don't you think.......I know ...I'm a worry wart....but it is my BABY!!!!!!!:33:

First off you don't use the handle bars. I tie mine down with soft straps through the forks and lower triple clamp. I use the crash bar for another set of straps. I have tie down brackets that I got on eBay but Kuryiken also has them attacted to forks. I use a Rampage power lift to load and unload the bike The rear Ijust run a strap through the wheel. The bike never moves on our trips down south.
kemo

Good idea..I never thought about using the lower "triple tree"! I guess I am just used to the old dirt bike hauling days where we always used the handle bars

I am on my 2nd Electra Glide and only had to tow once because of a flat tire, I only used to straps and the rear tire was on the tailgate and the bike never moved. Good luck, enjoy the trip

I agree with using the soft straps thru the lower trees. And I never cinch mine down super tight, I want a little bit of suspension for the unexpected big bump. If your straps are older, back them up with another pair on the main point.

And I don't use cheap straps. The reason you dont use the handle bars is that they are rubber mounted. One of my concerns always has been that one of the S hooks would come loose, so now I have a set with a snap hook for the front. 3 sets on each side of the front and just one strap holding the back from coming loose if I ever am in a panic situation. The Rampage gives me the extension I need for the bike, I don't use my tailgate. I tow my 30' travel trailer so I figure my packed weight would be close to 20,000 lbs.
kemo

With the wheel Chock installed correctly. I would not use the handlebars. I would attach to the highway bar in front & rear passenger pegs for the rear. That is if there is no way for you to enjoy the ride out. It could be a ride of a lifetime. Wish I had the time myself.

You really shouldn't use the bars as a tie down. They can easily bend and you could end up with other damage as well.

Back