free website stats program Has anyone else ever noticed this ? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Has anyone else ever noticed this ?

One of the reasons that most riders favor turning one way or the other is eye dominance. Most people have a dominant eye, just like a dominant hand. Which eye do you prefer when looking into a single-lens telescope, microscope, etc.? Chances are, that is the same side that you feel more comfortable turning. Eye dominance is more of a determining factor than hand dominance.

You may have something there. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I remember when I first started hunting with an open sighted rifle, I had hard time hitting any thing till I figered out what was going on.

Sharky1948 pretty well defines it. Recon pilots are told to position the target to their left. They can see quicker and easier out their left eye. Try this at home. Set straight up and flick your eyes left then right. Do it again and then see if it was easier to look left than right. About all of you will see easier to the left. I do not know any of the medical terms for this. Fossil

I turn better to the left. I think for me moving the throttle while it's up close (In a slow right turn) doesn't feel just right. I used to think it was a mental thing about putting my foot out although I know it don't really do any good. Weired thing here is back when I used to water ski (slalom coarse) I could cut better to the right...

One of the reasons that most riders favor turning one way or the other is eye dominance. Most people have a dominant eye, just like a dominant hand. Which eye do you prefer when looking into a single-lens telescope, microscope, etc.? Chances are, that is the same side that you feel more comfortable turning. Eye dominance is more of a determining factor than hand dominance.

You sir are absolutely correct. I wonder though if there is any added effect due to handedness.

I think that there are a number of other factors that contribute...handedness, radius of the curve from a stop of left vs. right turns, etc. But, from what I've read, it is eye dominance that is the dominant determinant. (Couldn't resist that last phrase... :s )

You sir are absolutely correct. I wonder though if there is any added effect due to handedness.

I know that I would much rather cut a tight turn to the left. In my case I think it's because the brakes are on the right.

I'm very right handed and right eyed.

Anyone use Motorman's "friction zone" for low speed maneuvers?

Yea..I can make a left U-turn easy but a right U-turn, for some reason, is a little harder.

I had a dominate eye but it was as blind as the non-dominate eye. Riding in Dallas, Tx. I would see people pull out in front of me all the time. I would use all those things Glider edits out and people would look at me weird. Wife talked me into getting glasses and then I realized those folks were there all along. Just didn't see them...

G'day team,,,

This may have something to do with it actually. Here's an old shooting trick to determine which eye is your dominant side; hold your hands up at arms length and make a diamond (or a spade for the card sharks among you!) out of the thumb and forefinger in each hand,, then, looking at a distant object through the hole with both eyes, bring your hands in towards your face, keeping the object in view ALL the time (if it blinks out of sight for a second - you've cheated,,, do it again), and whichever eye your hands go to is your dominant eye.

The result will surprise some,, I know for me; I'm right handed, have always shot rifles right handed (sniper qualified) and yet I'm left eye dominant!

stay safe out there,
Al

Back