free website stats program Has anyone else ever noticed this ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Has anyone else ever noticed this ?

Hmmm I am opposite I use counter steering so in a left hand turn I press down on the throttle hand and the bike just drops.

For counter-steering (everyone does it, they may not realize it unless they took a MSF course) you push the hand in the direction of your turn. E.G. Push left hand to turn left; throttle hand for right turn.

I noticed it also but I think it's because my girlfriend always rides with her face on my left shoulder and forgets to move her head when I turn right!

Probably the weight of the wallet with the contents pulls you over more on a right turn. Buy some more chrome and try it again :D
:bigsmiley20::lolrolling:lolrolling

Actually I am more comfortable turning to my right.

I would say the reason you are more confident with left turns if you don't lean enough going into the turn you are going to run off the road, right curve if you don't lean enough you are going to slam into on coming traffic. lol

For counter-steering (everyone does it, they may not realize it unless they took a MSF course) you push the hand in the direction of your turn. E.G. Push left hand to turn left; throttle hand for right turn.

You beat me to this.... used to try and steer the bike. The best thing for me was to practice on the Blueridge Parkway.... push the side in the direction you want the bike to go. It is amazing how much easier and take the curves much faster by pushing than steering...

I never took the course but I was told about it many years ago by a guy who rode a ninja. He said it is weird, you actually steer the opposite way to turn. It never made sense until I started riding, I then thought back to what he said and it made total sense and helped me when I was a noob learning to ride.

But with me I tend to pull rather than push in the turns. If I am going into a left hand turn I would pull back on the right throttle hand and pull back on the left to drop into a right turn. I guess it is how you are comfortable doing it. It is a good technique for new riders to learn and master, people that don't understand how the bike steers are usually the ones in the guard rail or go off the road into the ditch when they cannot steer out of a high speed turn..

I think that both hands play their part together automatically, it's push and pull on the bars at the same time.
When riding in the UK where we ride on the left, I prefer to turn right because usually the curve radius is longer.
When riding on the right, the opposite applies.

One of the reasons that most riders favor turning one way or the other is eye dominance. Most people have a dominant eye, just like a dominant hand. Which eye do you prefer when looking into a single-lens telescope, microscope, etc.? Chances are, that is the same side that you feel more comfortable turning. Eye dominance is more of a determining factor than hand dominance.

Back