free website stats program Harsh front suspension | Harley Davidson Forums

Harsh front suspension

Dferr

My front suspension on my 2006 street glide seems to be way to soft and apparently doesn’t have enough travel. As I hit a little bigger than average bumps in the road it will bottom out and slam the front end like there was no suspension at all. Is this normal for the street glide to have such a harsh front end or is something really wrong in there?

re: Harsh front suspension

Is this bike new to you and do you know the service history? Could be all it needs is to change the fork oil unless the front end has been modified or lowered somehow (possible reason for not enough travel).

Yes, the bike is new to me, and I think I remember the guy I bought it from said he had it lowered. I'll have to check into that. If it was lowered, how is that done and can I undo it easily?

Your suspension is lower than the others by 1 inch. You can also replace the oil in the front end to "B" weight from HD for better control and less bottoming out. I tried the SE oil from HD and found it too stiff.

Harley Davidson Community

Harley Davidson Community

Glider,
Maybe using SE Heavy is why I needed the new "Gold Bridge" in my mouth..:newsmile08::newsmile093:

I have two (one pint bottles) SE fork oil Heavy Left, sitting on my computer desk, MAYBE that is the best place for them.... :newsmile011: think?

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie

I think that's the best place for the SE oil. I put it in and id didn't stay in for more than an hour. It felt like there was no suspension in the front.:laugh

I think you have some very good suggestions on how to improve your ride. I just replaced my front forks with chrome lowers and bought the Progressive MonoTube system. This has got to be one of the best set ups for touring bikes I have run across. Still have a great smooth ride and I can really feel what the front end is doing, and they don't dive when I hit the brakes.

:bigsmiley11:I agree, I also installed the Progressive MonoTube System as well as the rear Progressive 440 shocks on my 2008 Ultra and the ride/handling is awesome. Reduces the brake dive and the acceleration lift substancially. The rebound is great, much better than OEM suspension system.

Roger

Back