free website stats program Harmon Kardon Replacement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harmon Kardon Replacement

Well after talking to just about everybody at the dealership and now at Harley, it is definately not made to break although I suppose dropping it could. It's purpose is to hold the radio. The ones that will break easy, are the horizontals that attach to the bottom speaker screws.

The big killer may be the front motor mount. One of the older and more knowledgeable mechanics ask a simple question of all of us who had broken vertical mounts; "What kind of shape is your motor mount in?". I haven't checked mine yet, but the other three guys have all reported that the mount is pretty squished and definately needs replacing.

The bikes involved are '06's & '07's with 20k to 30k miles and it sure sounds like we may have discovered some factory flaps. First of all, motor mounts shouldn't be giving way after 20k to 30k miles; and even if they do, the additional vibration shouldn't cause the vertical radio mounts to break which in turn eventually kill the radio.

Geez, what a mess!

Hey, someone mentioned it "looked like you did a nice job" did you post pix of the bracket? I want to change and fix, before the problem occurs and I have to shell out for a radio.

In taking the fareing off, from experience . . . remove the two inside T27 screws before you need to remove the cylinder lock on touring models. I did not and played (Edit). Also, with the fareing pointed straight, you do not need to pry or remove the gas tank. I did not do this and I stuck a screwdriver in the cylinder, instead of replacing the lock and got the tumblers all out of line. When I turned the fareing straight, the inner shell came right out it was easy going from there. I cried like a baby trying to get the lock back in.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Go back one page to the #7 thread and you will see 3 thumbnail photos.

My best advice though, is not to go out of your way and do something like this if you really don't have to ...... yet! You know, if it's not broke .......

If the vertical supports do shear like a lot of them I'm hearing about, then don't replace them with the same flimsy brackets that broke in the frist place.

The brackets I made are definitely over-kill. It's basically 1-1/4" X 1/4" angle iron that is cut, bent and roughly machined. It probably took me less than an 1-1/2 hours to make both brackets and drill the holes.

I purchased the two horizontal one's that attach to each vertical and the lower speaker screw mount.

Hi I am just having this happen on my 06 StreetGlide. Had you foud the issue. I have the exact 3 beeps and says radio not calibrated, it's driving me crazy.... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Hi I am just having this happen on my 06 StreetGlide. Had you foud the issue. I have the exact 3 beeps and says radio not calibrated, it's driving me crazy.... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Sherwood's last posted activity was March of 2012. You might try PMing him to see if his problem was resolved.

Back