free website stats program Harley's combo tach and speedometer | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley's combo tach and speedometer

leeanders

Harley's combo tach and speedometer

Does anyone know if the fuel tank has to be removed in order to connect the 'combo tach and speedo unit' to the softail bikes, specfically the FLSTF fatboy?

See photo below.

Thanks

Attachments

• 74774_11_M_26a9a.jpg
    74774_11_M_26a9a.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 48
No you do not have to remove the tank. If you go to HD's website and look up the gage under the parts it will also give you the instruction sheet for installing the gage.
WAP.gif
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J04401.pdf

I got that same speedo/tach combination for Christmas this year. I put on in about 15 minutes. I think it's more accurate than the stock speedo that came with my '12 FLSTC. Looks great, works great. No tank removal either. One very small thing - it synchs with the ecu after 31 miles. After that, you can't use it on any other bike.

I got that same speedo/tach combination for Christmas this year. I put on in about 15 minutes. I think it's more accurate than the stock speedo that came with my '12 FLSTC. Looks great, works great. No tank removal either. One very small thing - it synchs with the ecu after 31 miles. After that, you can't use it on any other bike.

JW, Thanks for the information........the "one small thing" you mentioned.......that's news. Probably never become an ssue, but I guess I'm not surprised. Harley should never have discontinued the tach's! I had to add one on my last Dyna, and now this one.

I know the OEM unit has one, but it's a pain in the a-- to monitor while on the road. I drive more by the tach than the speedo.

How about the original speedo that came on my bike.....has only 300 miles on it.......does that mean no one else could use it?

Lee - Yep. You can't sell it, although I think you can put back on the same bike. I much prefer the new one to the old. I like a tach too, but having to thumb through the different displays was a pain. Playing with the color settings is a hoot, although I finally settled on red dials with white pointers.

Hi u will also have to plug it in to the data link under the seat to download the k's opps miles to ur new speedo I had to cheers.

Hi u will also have to plug it in to the data link under the seat to download the k's opps miles to ur new speedo I had to cheers.

Markols - I didn't have that same experience - I was able to make the connections and just put the console back together and it worked fine. Different for diff models perhaps....

Without reading all of the replies before me, I can tell you from experience that the tank is not removed. Very easy install. If you follow the instructions carefully, it should take about 20-30 minutes to complete from start to finish.

It was the best upgrade I have performed on my Heritage. Really love this combo speedo/tach.

The biggest drawback is you can't transfer the unit from one bike to another. It is married to the bike it gets installed on.

Buy new bike, buy new speedo/tach combo unit.

Back