free website stats program Harley's ARE good bikes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley's ARE good bikes

Have to agree, while I have not experienced the newer models, my older 2004 Sporty feels tough as nails. My only weakness experienced so far was not the H-D hardware, but what would be called "FIRMWARE" i.e. the electronics and as luck would have it the most complex (new) technology: the ECM.

So far my sporty with "old school" EVO 1st gen hardware scaled down a bit just works. Even my 2004 battery is still kicking (I have been using the battery tender weekly) having not let it run it down, so saved it's life as well as the charging system. Also living in SoCal...not a huge amount of temperature changes or need for winterizing.

Bottom line, the basic H-D hardware is sound, but as Glider says, when things change like cracking open the engine or modifying to increasing displacement or internals to squeeze more torque/HP out of an EPA strangled engine...while maintaining costs is a real challenge for MOCO. Then another model year goes by and the cycle repeats!

No surprise that doing a Stage I to improve breathing, enrichening A/F mixture to improve heat management for the bike and rider, along with adding an oil cooler does bring some of that reliability and durability back. But increasing complexity or displacement to "add" more power will have an impact on the quality as well as price...JMO!
:good

'08 96", So far so good, no real issues, but if something happens, I have the back up of extended warrantee. I hope it's more for peace of mind than needing to tap it.

this comment is in response to "retrop's" thread. After the second World War the auto industry began shafting the public in sales and service and continued to do so until consumer protection advocates stepped in. H-D is doing the same stuff now as if they were reading the "how to" book from the auto industry. You have all seen it and INDY's and DIY's prosper as a result. Labor rates will never go down but at least the Stealers could offer "service" instead of "avoidance". JMHO

All very interesting and valid responses. Never was able to own one back when they did have some problems, so don't know bout them times. I have an 07 now but it's still low mileage so I don't know squat to comment.

I do love the the Harley look and ride though.

The biggest problem facing anyone with an 07 or later bike when doing upgrades to the motor is the weak crank. If you do upgrades that increase power to any extent, there's a very good possibility that your crank will scissor from the added power. They just aren't built to take any more power than what comes from the factory and even that is marginal.

Many do Stage 1 to add more fuel for cooling, better intake & pipes to allow it to breathe. I'm sure they add a few more HP. My K&N filter kit says it adds 8 HP. I appreciate your experience (& everyone else's) but I'm confused about what's best for long term.

What's best for long term is to quit worrying and ride your motorcycle. No machine is perfect. Performance mods usually extract a price in reliability because you ride more agressively. These are well engineered bikes with some weak points which you need to be aware of. I ride with no worries and will repair as needed with an eye for better reliability from the repair "if" one is ever needed.

I'm sitting here in Hill City, South Dakota, just got here from Ft. Lauderdale Florida on my 09 Ultra Classic with stage 1, SERT, full synthetic, and an oil cooler. 21 thousand miles plus on this bike, my second Sturgis run and I couldn't be happier with it.

20O9 RG, 19K miles except for problems with the Dunlop 208's that came on the bike no problems, good oil (Mobile Syn, Royal Purple in the tranny, HD+ in the primary), Stage 1 with TFI). Regular maintiance and happy as a clam and all is well. The little maintiance things count for a lot. Flog any vehicle and you will have problems, and serious engine mods for more HP lead to problems in the long run. I learned this lesson with muscel cars way back when. Most piston aircraft engines also air cooled, produce 1/2 HP per cubic inch turning only around 2000 rpm, and give VERY reliable service. There is a reason they design them like that.

I was at the dealership a few weeks ago spending money on t shirts I don't need and a guy rode in for an inspection sticker. Odometer said 186,000 miles......on an 04. The service guy asked the owner if it was right because he did not believe it. The owner confirmed it was correct. I asked the owner how much work he had done to it and he said he had the motor torn down at 100k because it was starting to show a power loss and had the tranny rebuilt as well when they had it apart. The guy rides all over the country and has hit every state except Louisianna. Sounds like a pretty reliable ride to me! And the bike was stock except for the pipes.

My brother and sister in-law just got into the Harley riding. My Brother in law traded in a 2010 Victory Arlen Ness touring bike #001 or 200. Got a 2011 Rode Glide, and my sister in-law got her first Harley Davidson 2005 Deluxe. She had a 2007 Victory King Pin. Man she looks awesome on that Harley.

My bike is a 2005 Electra Glide Standard I purchased used back in March of 2008. It is all stock and is still to day except for the Stage 1 Air Cleaner and a FI 2000 Fuel Management system.

When I purchased the bike it had 19k on it. Today this back has 81,595 miles on her. I had the cam chain, cam bearings, and oil pump replaced at 60K, and had a few primary and trans leaks repaired but that is about it. Actually the leaks were minor.

This Harley has been the best bike I have ever owned. Oh yea I see the new ones and they really look sharp, but my 05 EGS has character now. I know every little noise it makes. Sure is shakes when it idles. It's a Harley. I would not have it any other way. I think I'll keep her for another 100,000 miles.

Back