free website stats program Harleys are alive and kicking in Europe | Harley Davidson Forums

Harleys are alive and kicking in Europe

jezbo

Just taken the family by road to Italy and it was great to see so many Harley riders in Europe. The great roads make perfect riding; the pass over the Alps between Italy and France was particularly popular. Just makes you want to ride.:D

Good to hear that big bikes are popular in Europe. Thought everyone was into the cafe racer scene over there. Don't get me wrong.....the cafe racers are cool as heck and the nostalgia and history of those machines is interesting. Anyway.....good to know big v twins are cruising around Europe!

Good to hear that big bikes are popular in Europe. Thought everyone was into the cafe racer scene over there. Don't get me wrong.....the cafe racers are cool as heck and the nostalgia and history of those machines is interesting. Anyway.....good to know big v twins are cruising around Europe!

The ratio of racers to cruisers is about 10 to 1 here.

Very expensive toys here in Europe, but they are here. :)

Thanks for the information. I just recently got my bike and finally got into motorcycling. Although I have been planning to for years! Glad I did. I am career Army guy and through the years did much searching into motorcycling history and developement and what I found amazing is that many motorcycling historians credit the returning WW2 vets from England and the US with really pushing the motorcycling era in the late 40's in both countries. Cafe racers in Europe development due to the smaller roadways in England and the large cruisers in the US to match the wider roads over here. Both types of bikes were of course customized to the riders preferences but in different functions to the type of riding. I have only owned the bike I currently have....a dyna super glide....but am definately interested in someday trying a small european racer on tiny roads to see what that would be like!!!

but am definately interested in someday trying a small european racer on tiny roads to see what that would be like!!![/QUOTE]

You'd be wanting some extra insurance here before you did that,altho some roads are nice,the drivers here are blind to bikes,and your racer will literally be the death of you in Devon and cornwall.
Having said that,ambition is a fine thing,and I hope you realise yours.
BTW,its difficult to drive anywhere over here without seeing a Harley or two,which is only natural,seeing as how they are THE epitomy of style and motorcycling savvy.

Oh trust me....I know about the style of the Harley but after only 2 months on the road with a bike I am already interested in what other bikes feel like to ride!

I expect to see around 3000 harleys in aviemore at the end of the month
the whole place becomes a sort of harley town during the thunder in the glens rally

Brian

I just had this discussion with a fellow from England, who kinda zig zaged between the US and the UK a couple of times. He is a non-rider, but when I discussed my Harley, he said he was amazed at how many he saw there his last coupe returns to the UK just about 10 years and most recently 2 years ago (after being born and raised there most of his life). They are popular and bus loads of kids will wave at a large group, and most large biker groups will wave back...surprised him to see that, given the American biker image conveyed in the cinema and press these days. I concurred and promptly said majority of riders are not a part of the bad boy/American image.:small3d015:

Last edited:
You guys / girls should all visit the European Bike week in Austria, you'd be amazed how many riders there are out there. This event is open to all bikers, but 99% of them ride harleys.

Harley-Davidson | European Bike Week

It's the Sturgis of Europe ;)

In Australia(not austria) melbourne, I rarely see any harley.. 1 in 100 bikes are harley... But on the weekends, the numbers increase slightly.

There is 6 months waiting period to get 883 Iron.

Back