free website stats program Harley Voluntary recall on Clutch issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Voluntary recall on Clutch issues

BuffaloBill

Hello gang
Woke up this morning watching the news Anyone hear about to 30,000 2014 Touring models recall reguarding Clutch issues??

Hello gang
Woke up this morning watching the news Anyone hear about to 30,000 2014 Touring models recall reguarding Clutch issues??[/QUOThe 2014 Harley-Davidson CVO Limited (above), Tri Glide (middle) and Street Glide are among the models affected by the recent recall.

FYI
Harley-Davidson has issued a large voluntary recall for more than 29,000 models in its 2014 touring and CVO lineup. At issue is the new hydraulic clutch system, which could potentially not disengage the clutch. Details of the recall are included in the press release below. To help clarify the affected models, we’ve collected the names associated with the model numbers listed in the announcement. - Motorcycle USA Staff

Touring
FLHXS – Touring Street Glide Special
FLHTCU- Electra Glide Ultra Classic
FLHTK – Ultra Limited
FLHTP – Electra Glide Police
FLHX – Street Glide
FLHXS – New Street Glide Special
FLHTKSE – CVO Limited
FLHRSE –CVO Road King

Softail CVOs and Trikes
FLHTCUTG – Tri Glide Ultra
FXSBSE – CVO Breakout
FLSTNSE-CVO Deluxe

Press Release Courtesy of Harley-Davidson

Harley-Davidson (NYSE: HOG) is acting quickly to address potential safety issues by voluntarily recalling certain 2014 Touring motorcycles equipped with a hydraulic clutch system that may pose a safety issue for riders and/or passengers. The recalls include a Do Not Ride notice to owners and a Do Not Deliver notice to Harley-Davidson dealers until the motorcycle is fixed.

“The safety of our customers is our highest priority,” said Tony Wilcox, Harley-Davidson General Manager of Motorcycle New Product Delivery. “We have identified potential safety issues and are moving quickly to notify our customers and dealers. The inspection and repair of these motorcycles is extremely important, so it’s critical that our customers with affected vehicles contact their dealers immediately. We apologize for this circumstance. The company is committed to correcting the issues and providing customers with the quality experience and service they expect.”

The recalls affect 25,185 Touring motorcycles, models FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE, and 3,861 Softail® CVOs and Trikes, models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE, built between May 3, 2013, and Oct. 14, 2013.

Some of these motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which the hydraulic clutch system may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch. If the clutch does not disengage as intended, the rider may have difficulty slowing or stopping the motorcycle, which could result in an accident. Harley-Davidson has initiated these recalls to correct the affected motorcycles.

The company is taking the additional measure of issuing a Do Not Ride notice to riders given the potential safety issues. The company wants owners of affected motorcycles to contact an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer immediately to arrange for an inspection. The dealer will pick up, inspect and make the necessary repairs at no cost to the owner. The repairs have been identified and should take less than one hour.

Here's the story of the guy that was one of the first to have the problem that started the recall:

This is a result of MY MOTORCYCLE. I am so incredibly happy to see that I may have saved lives. I recently bought a 2014 Eglide Ultra from Shenandoah HD in Virginia. (I have to say they are an incredible dealer and I recommend everyone go to them) The very next day after my purchase-I was on the Skyline Drive. I noticed my clutch started to fade. While on Rte 340 - I came to an intersection-red light, I pulled in clutch to gear down-NO CLUTCH. Bike stuck in gear. I was about to ride into a red light intersection with terrible consequences. Luckily I have been a lifelong motorcycle rider. I could do nothing-the bike was pulling me-stuck in gear. I hit the kill switch. That was the only way to slow the bike down. Being stuck in gear-I pulled in the brake lever but the engine was chugging and pulling me into the intersection with no clutch. I went to Groves HD in VA. They tried a fix-thinking it was air in the system-drained, refilled test ride and I was on my way. After about 50 minutes-I had no clutch on Rte 81 North. Riding at highway speeds, I tried to gear down as a tractor trailer moved into my lane-I was stuck in 5th gear. I tried so hard to downshift-I thought I was going to break off the gearshift. I had to pull off to the slow lane/shoulder and chug along slowly. I motioned to my brother to watch out-because I lost my clutch again. Not wanting to get stuck on the highway-I kept going slowly. I used my new 2014 GPS in dash Boom system-located the closest Harley dealer. Williamsport MD Harley. I was able to get the bike to the dealer without being able to shift. Williamsport HD was great. They tried to identify the repair. They gave me a ride to a local hotel as the bike was going to stay overnight. I couldnt believe my bike less than 24 hours old was in two different dealers for the same issue. I immediately contacted Shenandoah Harley and they were OUTSTANDING. They made immediate arrangements to go to MD and pick up my bike. I took a rental car home-Shenandoah HD picked up the bike. Matt the Service Manager at Shenandoah, Dave Nelson and Zing-took the issue to the TOP. After contacting Harley Davidson-the process began to identify the issue. My biggest concern-was saving lives because someone could die due to this issue. It took a few days-Bike was repaired by Shenandoah Harley. My bike was then delivered to me from Shenandoah HD to my door in New Jersey. After seeing the press release today-I was extrememly happy to know that I took part(not by choice hahaha) in possibly saving lives. This was a situation where a Harley would be stuck in gear-and could have tragic end results. Harley Davison Company, Shenandoah Harley in Staunton VA ALL Have my highest respect for following through and doing the right thing here.

I think it is a great thing that the MOCO has jumped at this problem. All too often all we see is whining about the MOCO and the way they do business. Still some of those who don't like the changes and can't wait to point out the flaws are in their glory right now.

Yes, it is commendable that HD recall these bikes. But my pessimistic side wants to think the only reason they did was because of a safety issue with a very good possibility of class action lawsuits and such. If it was compensators blowing up or something you would have to buy a new "upgrade" kit out of pocket and would suddenly be considered a "wear item" not recalled and designed only to last 730 days...

I wonder what the problem is exactly? Does anyone know what causes the clutch to fail?

My guess is the hydraulic release is not working proper, this could be a vendor issue as simple as a bad master cylinder
Hydraulic clutches have been around for years and are quite good

Last edited by a moderator:
I just deleted the previous 5 posts. They were off topic, argumentative, disrespectful, and bordered on flaming.

Let's all behave, follow the rules, and stay on topic.

Back